RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 + Hyper-V + Haswell = Pain

I also have the RT66NU but only use it as my central access point in house. Disabled the router part in favor of pfsense. Am thinking of adding an old DIR-655 or WRT54G using captive portal for guests.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• itGeeks

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In that case....Xerox should own everything sold by Apple and Microsoft.

Totally. Needed to replace an old, failing router fast. Got the Asus based on overwhelming reviews. Discovered pfsense shortly after, got curious, and had spare hardware to play with. All timing.

I'd bet that 75% + of the Essential installs will be on "consumer grade" equipment, and not "enterprise  grade" equipment.

I would say your numbers are way to high for a OS that costs $400.  But either way, the bottom line is that essentials is now just a role on Windows Server 2012 R2.  Not even motherboard manufactures support consumer hardware running any server OS.  You can get good quality server grade parts for not to much more over consumer level stuff so why not safe yourself the headaches and buy correctly.  Just my .02

I prefer consumer grade hardware and software. I stuck with Ivy Bridge because of the problems related to Haswell. I'm running Windows 8 Pro with WHS 2011 running as a VM.

I prefer consumer grade hardware and software. I stuck with Ivy Bridge because of the problems related to Haswell. I'm running Windows 8 Pro with WHS 2011 running as a VM.

Being an enthusiast that loves the latest, I really hate to say this, but you have made a great choice.  Sticking with Ivy Bridge makes sense as it is a mature and very stable platform.

I'm still with Sandy Bridge and was wanting to go to Haswell.  Not any more.

Really no incentive that I can see except for extra sata 3 ports, but I think in the next couple of months when they get the support straightened out for things like essentials, it will be a good platform, but right now it is not good.

I suspect jmwills is right: the majority of Essentials installs will be on consumer hardware; maybe higher end consumer, but still consumer.