RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

2012 Essentials R2 + Hyper-V + Haswell = Pain

I am now on roughly my 15th install of Essentials R2 on my Haswell and I can not get my Haswell system to properly install a VM guest in Hyper V.  Hyper V installed fine but the guests hang.  Wasted the whole weekend on this and tried 2 different SSDs, two different drives, two motherboard, a BIOS upgrade, and 5 sets of memory.  What a POS. They could have not possibly tested essentials on new hardware before releasing it.  Of course it all works fine on a Sandy Bridge.  I am at my wits end and have given up trying to make that combo work.  I guest I will have to wait for RTM 2.  I would love to just go back to sandy/ivy bridge but I need a few more sata 3 for the new server so I am stuck waiting.

Configuration:

Asus Z87M-Plus/Gigabyte Z87MX

I-5 4570S

Crucial/Gskill Memory (test in two and 4 banks, with 16 and 32 gig configurations)

2 Intel SSD

2 Two Seagate 3T

My frustration is beyond words.  So do yourself a favor and do use Haswell on if you plan of using Hyper-V and essentials.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmwills

• ikon

• itGeeks

• Drashna Jaelre

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In that case....Xerox should own everything sold by Apple and Microsoft.

Drashna Jaelre

I'm assuming you've installed 2012 Standard or HyperV Core on the same hardware and have gotten it to work?

And yeah, that would definitely be very frustrating. I wonder if HyperV Server 2012 R2 exhibits the same behavior.

I'd bet that 75% + of the Essential installs will be on "consumer grade" equipment, and not "enterprise  grade" equipment.

Drashna Jaelre

I'd bet that 75% + of the Essential installs will be on "consumer grade" equipment, and not "enterprise  grade" equipment.

Isn't that the point of Essentials, actually? It's meant to be a consumer grade server after all. Or at least a SOHO server.