RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server won't start

Poppapete

Long story. Home build with GA-H61M-D2-B3 MB and Intel i3 CPU.  Now running 2012E. I ran out of backup space so replaced a 1TB red with a 3TB black and cleaned the whole box. Closed up and turned on to hear a nasty click and then nothing. Opened up the case to find that the fan speed controller from a case fan had fallen into the blades of the Intel CPU fan. Repositioned the fan speed controller cable but computer will not boot. All fans including the CPU fan just spin for less than a second then nothing. I figure that the CPU heated up and stopped the boot sequence.

Any ideas appreciated. Do I try removing the CPU then cleaning and replacing the paste?

Edited by Poppapete

Everything I read suggests that you are correct but how do I track it down.  It's a very simple build, no PCI cards, just a board, 4 SATA connectors, CPU fan connector and one case fan connector. Nothing cheap, an antec case and PSU.

I could play with it for hours or just buy a new haswell board for $60 and an i3 1150 CPU for $145 - [i am in Australia and we pay more for everything].

I assume the memory will still be fine Kingston 1333D3N9K2/8G

Edited by Poppapete

The 1st thing I would do is try another PSU, or, try the current PSU on another system (although that can be a bit risky if the PSU is now faulty; it might fry a 2nd computer).

Update:

I first checked the PSU by disconnecting all power connections from the MB, jumped the green on ATX with a black (ground) and turned the power on.  The fan starts on the PSU which suggests the PSU is OK . [it is an antec so not a cheap PSU].

I then checked all the voltages on the ATX  main power connector just for fun. 5, 3.3, 12, -12 all good.

I also checked the voltage on the little 4 pin MB power connector. All good.

So now I removed the MB. Hoping to find a loose nut or something underneath shorting the board. No such luck.

Next I removed the Intel CPU Fan.

Connect fan to a 12V Supply and it works fine.

Removed battery on the board for a few minutes to let BIOS reset.

Clean CPU and Fan with Alcohol (need to drink some).

Look for my old tube of paste to replace fan but can't find it anywhere ( last 3 Intel CPU's came prepasted - is there such a word)

So have to go and buy some Arctic something.

If that doesn't work I will do what I said 2 posts earlier. Buy a new $60 haswell MB and a new CPU (That's the expensive bit)

I assume I will not have to buy new RAM.  I have KVR-1333D3N9K2.

It's all fun but my wife doesn't understand and asks what the hell am I doing playing with that damned computer all day.

Edited by Poppapete

All good ideas, but, can we look to see if the power button wires are sufficiently plugged into the MOBO?

I assume they are because when I push the button the case fans and CPU fan all start up for half a second. I reassembled the lot and still the same so I have ordered the Haswell board and will pick it up in the morning! ASUS H81M-E a simple micro ATX MB.