RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Raid 0 and Raid 1 on the single Microserver

Zenon

Hello,

I am going to buy G7 N54L or Gen8 G1610T. Purpose - home storage system and HTPC. OS Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

My questions are:

G7 N54L:

Is is possible to make default hard disk (250GB) in raid0 for OS and two additional disks WD RED 3TB in raid1 as storage?

Gen8 G1610T:

Is is possible to make one hard disk (eg. 1TB) in raid0 for OS and two additional disks WD RED 3TB in raid1 as storage?

I plan to put OS disk in to optical disk place and next two disks in bay 1 and 2 (Sata3).

Which of these server is better for my purpose?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Zenon

RAID 0 requires two disks and RAID 1 the same

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/08/raid-levels-tutorial/

So ...

G7 N54L:

Is is possible to make default hard disk (250GB) in raid0 for OS and two additional disks WD RED 3TB in raid1 as storage?

Gen8 G1610T:

Is is possible to make one hard disk (eg. 1TB) in raid0 for OS and two additional disks WD RED 3TB in raid1 as storage?

I plan to put OS disk in to optical disk place and next two disks in bay 1 and 2 (Sata3).

Which of these server is better for my purpose?

Thank you in advance.

Although, if I understand it correctly, gstarks explained that even a single disk has to be configured as RAID0 if you're using one of the HP RAID cards (embedded or add-in). I thought it a bit odd, but his explanation made a lot of sense. I just think HP could have given it a different name, so it didn't look so weird. What can you do..... engineers.... they're so literal. :)

You might have an issue with the Gen8, due to the small space for the optical drive (the Gen7 is taller).

You can get 1TB drives that are 2.5" but what waste that on an OS.  It appears you are just starting this journey, so I'd stick with the 250 gig for the OS and get the RED for the data.  YOu could expand from there.

Watch this forum for deals on SSD Drives for the OS.  The system will run quite a bit faster.

I am going to use the HP Microserver as a home storage/backup system and HTPC (I will put in side the graphic card with HDMI).

I plan to have OS (Windows 7 or Ubuntu) on the first hard disk (G7 N54L - 250GB default HDD or in the Gen8 G1610T - 2,5" or SDD in optical disk bay).

I want to put inside also two additional hard disks (2 x WD RED 3TB) working in raid1. Will it be possible using build in raid controler combine with the first hard disk with OS which will be "non-raid"?

I still do not know which machine will best for my purpose?

Thank you in advance for you help.