RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migrating WHS2011 from and n36L to an n54L

tmpr

Hi,

I've had a n36L running WHS2011 for a couple of years. Recently I picked up a cheap n54L and I'd like to move everything over from the n36L.

1. Being an OEM version of WHS2011 am I going to have licensing issues if I try to move the OS to the new box?

2. Is the n36L and n54L hardware close enough that I can avoid reinstalling everything i.e. could I get away with just putting the system disk from the n36L (along with all the things I've added) into the n54L and turning it on?

Thanks

Tom

I would think you could just move the OS drive over as is, since the hardware is so close.  One way to find out.

Licensing should not be an issue,

I would clone the system drive, just to be safe, but I agree it should work pretty well. I would try only the System Drive to start, without any data drives in the N54L.

If you do get licensing notifications, just call MS (I believe the phone # is displayed in the license popup) and tell them you had to replace the mobo.

If you do get any hardware notifications you probably will only have to install a driver or 2 to resolve them. Check Device Manager after the system is up & running.

Agreed, you might get an activation notice, but call the activation center for MS and they should be able to help you through that process.

• Like 1

Let us know how it turns out.  I'd be will ing to be t with the exception of a couple of easily installable drivers and the pain of telephone activation, this is will be a snap.

2. Yes. http://homeservershow.com/moving-my-windows-home-server-2011-to-the-hp-proliant-n54l-g7-microserver.html

1. The first time from the N40L to N54L I had no issue.  Just hit F10 on first Post to check the boot order is OK.

That said, activation is a black art so be ready to call Microsoft if necessary to activate over the phone.  (Hope for the best but plan for the worse.)  Like ikon & JMWillis said, essentially all you're doing is replacing the System Board.

And from the WHSv1 days, the phone activation stuff is actually quite painless. (not that I'd know... I don't think I ever activated my server ...)

I've called a couple of times over the years, although not in quite a long while now, but the process was pretty painless for sure.