RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Sluggy

Converting external drives to internal and DriveBender

Sluggy

Hi everybody

I've got an old Dell PowerEdge 840 that I picked up for a song with 4 x 750GB internal HW Raid drives, and with DriveBender's help I've added 2 x 2TB and a 3TB external drive (connected with USB) to a big pool of drives.

I'm thinking of getting the actual drives out of their cases and connecting then via SATA to the spare SATA ports on the MB. In a perfect world I'd be able to make the transfer and enjoy the extra speed and neatness on the desk without have to rebuild the pool, but the pessimistic side of me says 'Noooooooo, it's not going to be THAT easy'.  :lol:

Has anyone tried this and had any luck? I do have full backups (Cloudberry onto another external drive) so it's not too big a problem, but it'd be nice if Drivebender would recognize the drives through the difference interface.

Cheers, Chris in sunny Australia

tmpr

It shouldn't be a problem. Drivebender doesn't care how drives are connected.

ikon

I agree, it should work with no problem. My understanding is that DB writes a signature file to each HDD it controls, so it always knows which array a drive belongs to.

One caution: are any of the external drives WD? If so, be careful: WD makes at least some external drives where the USB connector is on the physical drive itself, not on an adapter. IOW, the drive may actually not have any SATA connectors on it.

Sluggy

Hi again, thanks for answering. The three external drives are all Seagate. I won't need to reformat them or anything? Bit surprised this doesn't seem to be the drama I thought it would be. I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers, Chris

awraynor

I've only ripped open one WD external to reuse the drive. Luckily it was a stock drive. 

And I kept the adapter as an impromptu dock if the need arises.

Drashna Jaelre

That, and WD externals tend to have some trickery done with the usb controller that makes it impossible to just pull the drive out and put it into the system. Shows up as an uninitialized disk. Just recently dealt with a ticket that involved that.... is a mess.

Fortunately, Seagate doesn't seem to do that. And the Backup Plus drives are normal disks (ST3000DM100, for the 3TB, IIRC), and the base is detachable and is a normal SATA data and power connector.