RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Why Can I Restore Some PCs but Not Others - Windows 8.1 RTM Not Supported?

Bluewind

Running Server 2012 Essentials. I backup multiple PCs on the server ranging from Win 7 to Win 8.1 RTM. I recently installed Win 8.1 Pro RTM on two PC's. The installs were fine. Backups work fine. No error messages.

When I look at the two 8.1 Pro RTM systems from the Server Dashboard: Devices I notice in the tasks section that I can only "view the computer properties" and "remove the computer" for the two 8.1 RTM systems. All other PCs I update including those running Windows 8.1 Pro Preview have the full list of tasks. Additionally the two 8.1 RTM systems have no details available in Devices such as operating system,  system type, update, and security.

I understand that 8.1 RTM is not available yet so I don't expect that everything works (although I wish everything would work - I also believe in the Tooth Fairy). Anyone know when WSE 2012 will support 8.1 RTM? Or perhaps this is a Microsoft conspiracy to move everyone to WSE 2012 R2?

Thanks.

I have WSE 2012 and a client running 8.1 Pro. All information shows including OS and Update. I will not be upgrading to R2.  Too much work for no gain.  I can see big advantages for those playing with VM and remote access.

• Like 1

I have WSE 2012 and a client running 8.1 Pro. All information shows including OS and Update. I will not be upgrading to R2.  Too much work for no gain.  I can see big advantages for those playing with VM and remote access.

Do you have 8.1 Pro Preview which has been out for a few months? Or do you have 8.1 Pro RTM which is currently available to MSDN subscribers and equipment supplier? Until the mid-October release of 8.1 along with WSE R2, I don't think there is a released version of 8.1 that is not either Preview or RTM.

Thanks for the response.

The Client in question is running Windows 8.1 Pro RTM 64 bit which I loaded from an ISO file downloaded from the Technet site.