RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Embedded Standard 7 install

diehard

I joined the Microsoft Windows Embedded Standard 7 group and got a mail to download. So today I install WES7 on a 4gig partition on my PC. Cool. Once it's setup, you boot right into Media Center. There no way out. You have to power off.

I also added my 360 as an entender.cool again. So it's a dual boot now. I choose at the dos prompt. I will try and borrow a USB DVD drive and install it on my EX470 that's running Vail. I'll shrink that 60 gig partition down by 4 gig. I built a few VGA cables so there no problems there.

Later,

John.

For some reason I am excited about this. The thought of having decent table top boxes instead of these linux based ones seems pretty exciting and as allot of potential if done correctly. Keep us posted on this.

Ok, an update. Trying to install Windows Embedded Standard 7 on my EX470 Vail and EX490 WHS V1.

I figured out that I don't have to boot the server off a DVD drive to run the install. I could just share the DVD drive from my PC. I created both a x64 and x86 embedded install DVD.

Using Vail, I reduced the system partition drive by 4 gig. You can do this from within Vail since it has the Shrink option. However you can not Shrink the pool drive. That's the new Drive Extender, remember.
Then I installed the 64 bit version, all went well, except there is a glitch, when I log into "embedded" it's just waiting at a blank blue screen, hmm. I will have to investigate.

Using WHS V1, I removed the system drive and put it into my PC to run the Shrink option, here, I can reduce the pool drive by 4gig unlike Vail. Also, reducing the system drive from 20 to 16 is making things tough. Then back into the server for the install. More on that next time.

Remember, doing this on a headless system is a bit tricky since it will boot into the "embedded" partition first. If you want to boot into WHS, you need a monitior to scroll to WHS during boot.

But it's working well on my PC. I even got my TV tuner installed and working and installed MyMovies3 and MediaBrowser and link to the shares.

Next time,

John.

Guest no-control

I'm confused on what this is for...Or what your using it for. Can you either expand on the concept or point me to the idiot link that explains what this is for?

Thanks John ;)

It's a Media Center OS in a box, so to speak. Boot directly into Media Center. Play music, movies, pics... Should be lite and tight. Possibly ideal for an htpc setting. I'm going to test it tonight.

Ok. I installed MC Embedde on my Revo, which now dual-boots with Windows 7. Didn't have much time to test it after installation, other than play a movie for a couple minutes, because the housemates needed the TV to watch 'Dancing with the Stars'. Ya, that's right. hahaha Anyways, installation was easy enough. I created a partition beforehand, though I suspect I could have partitioned during install. Once I selected the installation partition, I then selected Settop Box as my template. A few more clicks and then I waited as the OS installed. It took some time and didn't look like it was doing anything for the longest while. But finally it rebooted, and voila! Up came the user setup - computer name, user, and pw. After login, it went right to Media Center where I pointed the settings to my movies folder on WHS. Gave it a few minutes to detect all the movies, and that was it. I'll play with this some more tomorrow.

UPDATE,
ok, reducing the pool drive is a bad idea. You will get a error in the Console on the Server Storage Tab. Since the drive size has change from what is set in the registry, you will get a NOT ADDED drive error and the green bar will constantly scroll. I change it back and it's working fine. I guess no install on WHS.

Ok, so now I know that the Embedded software can run on the EX470/Ex490 hardware. The big thing would be to actually hack it into Vail. But remember, these boxes are headless and without audio, so the thing to use here is setup the extender part to connect a 360.

That bring up the issue, do you really want to have the extender part on the WHS to connect a 360, which is reasonably priced, to connect to the server. Thereby eliminating the need to have a dedicated, always on PC to sync with your 360, or just build a HTPC using Windows Embedded Standard 7 and no need to have MCE on WHS ?

The HTPC for now is more expensive than a 360. Maybe it's a good idea to keep a look out for Windows Embedded Standard 7 WES7 boxes.

http://usingwindowshomeserver.com/2010/05/03/is-the-reycom-entertainment-center-the-first-embedded-windows-media-center-7-device/

So for now I'm testing WES7 on my Shuttle SG33G5M Deluxe. I hacked in Media Browser and MyMovies 3. HomeGroup is working and all the shares to WHS. Will try and get the MediaCenter remote working.

I think "just build a HTPC using Windows Embedded Standard 7" is your answer. While it may cost a little more, it should be a much better device than the 360, which is a poor to average extender at best.

Also, I was listening to the entertainment 2.0 podcast on WES7 and they seem to think this is just for consumers. I think it is for enthusiasts just as much, if not more. Why would you ever build a HTPC without WES7 now? What is everyone elses opinion?