RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading to Essentials R2 - Help

KiwiGlen

I would like to upgrade my main server to R2 but after seeing that there is no upgrade option I decided to try Microsoft's instructions and see how it goes  (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn408633.aspx).  I'm testing this on a VM before I try my main server.

Well I didn't get far before I hit a problem.  In step 2 which is to install R2 as a replica domain controller I did the install and when I logged onto the server the Essentials wizard started, and I cancelled it (as per the instructions). But I'm having problems following the next instructions  (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574134.aspx#BKMK_Dep) How do I get the Active Directory Domain Service Configuration Wizard to start?  I also tried the powershell cmdlet's and I can't find those on the server either.

Any ideas?

I also read somewhere (can't find it now) that this option is only available on R2 Standard or Datacentre, is that true or is that for something else?

I'm running R2 in a VM and have yet to see any issues whatsoever.

Have you run "dcpromo" from an elevated command prompt?

I've experienced a few peculiar issues - anywhere access working until Hyper-V enabled on a dedicated NIC. If not done correctly requires a clean reinstall of R2 to resolve. Skip domain doesn't work on some workstations. Older apps requiring NET framework 3.5 won't run despite 3.5 and 2.0 coming preinstalled on R2 (they run on R1). However insignificant they may seem, I came to rely upon them in my home environment. Honestly, I was hoping for R2 to be an improved Essentials with new features. Am still excited about moving to R2 at some point and expect many of these issues will be addressed between now and SP1. Fingers crossed.

HyperV and VPN don't play well in general. :(

But the .NET Framework issue is definitely an odd one, and would break a lot of apps. :(

But the .NET Framework issue is definitely an odd one, and would break a lot of apps. :(

Even more strange, the same apps run on R1 after the NET 3.5 component is installed under server manager. It comes preinstalled on R2 yet doesn't work.

Ah, then it sounds like MSFT changed what was in the .NET framework package for 3.5.... I'd be curious if disabling it and re-enabling it would fix the issue. I seriously doubt it, and I'm guessing you or others have already tried it. :(

I've accessed Hyper V Clinets over a VPN for quite some time with no issues whatsoever.

I meant the roles on the same box.  I've learned that lesson the hard way.... When it takes 20+ minutes to shut down a VM, and even using the task manager to kill the process doesn't work... and it hangs while shutting down....  

IIRC, the trick is to uncheck that "allow management operating system to share this network adapter" option. Which means you absolutely need a dedicated NIC for HyperV.