RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 RTM - Dropping Client Computers and Now the Server from Devices!

Hi All,

I had no issues at all with the preview release.  I did a clean install of RTM, and now after several days the Client Computers get dropped from the Devices tab into the Archived Computers.

The only way I've found to get them back is to remove them from the Archive list, uninstall the Connector SW on each client, and then reinstall it.  And then at some point within a day or at up to the most 5 days they get dropped again.

And today I noticed that the Server is missing from the devices list!  The funny thing is, I was able to run and configure backup for it from the Get Started tab.

But that didn't make it show up again in Devices.

This is driving me nuts!  This never happened in the preview release on the same HW.

Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fx45guy

• jmwills

• itGeeks

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't have that tab.  It';s not even mentioned in AD as an OU.

I take ti these were joined to the other domain. Did you remove them form the other domain before joining to the new domain?

I'm talking about the tabs in the Essentials Dashboard.

I've only ever used one domain.

And all three of the clients are clean installs of the RTM 8.1 Pro bits.

I clean installed them with 8.1 after clean installing the server and before joining them for the first time.

That's where I initially looked and I have nothing relating to archived in there.  I have two tabs, just as before.  Computers and Mobile Devices.

Screenshot attached.  All 3 Client devices now show as Archived and the Server thinks they are offline.

And note that the Server is missing too!

I can ping back and forth each direction just fine.

The Launchpad on each Client logs into the Server and shows the Server online.

screen.jpg

That is odd behaviour. You would also think you could right-click on each computer and change it from Removed to Active (or something similar). Not good; think I'm staying with WHS2011 for now.

Something certainly removed all of the computers, and told the server to keep the backups.

Once again today I'm going through uninstalling connector, removing the archived clients, and reinstalling connector.

If I don't remove the archived clients it doesn't work.  In WHS2011 you could remove a computer, archive its backups, and then readd it, and the archived backups would go back under the rejoined client.

Not here though.

I did run across this, but it wouldn't explain why the server is missing from the Devices tab.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5162-server-is-offline-your-are-not-signed-in/

I tried what the article said via the PowerShell, but it complains that the NetNat service isn't running.

I did run across this, but it wouldn't explain why the server is missing from the Devices tab.

My server has been missing from the DashBoard in my WHS2011 for ages. Not sure if it's the same cause as you have in WSE2012 -- it doesn't seem to affect how the server works though.