RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hard Drive Packing - Amazon vs. NewEgg

awraynor

At the meetup Dave mentioned issues with how NewEgg packaged and shipped Hard Drives versus

the way that Amazon shipped. 

I received a 3 TB RED from NewEgg just before the meetup. It was packed in a box just big enough

for the drive and packing. It had the plastic brackets on the end with the drive in the wrap with silica

packets. Pretty standard fare, seems to work well so far.

Here's a picture if you need it:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B147mlUGil51TGdrTUdiZThUaGM/edit?usp=sharing

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• awraynor

• ikon

• Andne

Great start Tony.  Thanks for posting this. 

When I was talking about the WD Red at the meetup we got into packaging discussions and took it upon ourselves to document different seller methods.  Let's include everywhere we can purchase hard drives from.  It would be nice to see an OEM package from a big box store as well.

I have received hard drives from newegg that were simply the drive in an ESD bag with desiccant, wrapped in bubble wrap and placed into a small box. This box was then packed into an outer shipping box. These drives are usually coming off a bulk skid.

I have received drives from Amazon and Tigerdirect. These are always packed like Tony described with the plastic molded ends to suspend the drive in the box.

I've gotten drives from Newegg both way - in a box with plastic ends and wrapped in bubble wrap in a separate box inside the main box.  Most recently I got a drive that was just in the main box and had a special bubble wrap carrier around it that must have been designed for hard drives.  It pretty much looked/worked like the box for a pack of cigarettes where there was a main section and a small top section over the end.  I have noticed that Newegg's packaging seems to depend on which facility I get things from at times, even to what the filling material is inside the main box.

At the meetup Dave mentioned issues with how NewEgg packaged and shipped Hard Drives versus

the way that Amazon shipped. 

I received a 3 TB RED from NewEgg just before the meetup. It was packed in a box just big enough

for the drive and packing. It had the plastic brackets on the end with the drive in the wrap with silica

packets. Pretty standard fare, seems to work well so far.

Here's a picture if you need it:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B147mlUGil51TGdrTUdiZThUaGM/edit?usp=sharing

I like my drives like this. It makes for easy shipping. I keep the boxes till I use them for RMAs, or sending to friends. :)

Can't say as I'm a big fan of the thin, molded plastic 'end cap' type of packing like that used in the photo in the OP. I prefer something that has cushioning capability, something that will absorb & dissipate energy from drops & bumps. 

I ordered two SSDs from Newegg recently--an OCZ and a Seagate. The Seagate came in a nondescript box, roughly the dimensions of the drive (and plastic cushioning end caps) in terms of length and width, and about 4 inches tall. The OCZ drive came in its own OCZ box, roughly 4x4x1, which was stuck inside a padded envelope.

I guess that's fine for shipping SSDs, which are a lot more tolerant to vibration than hard disks.

The last few hard drives I've bought have been from Best Buy -- I troll the waters of Newegg and Amazon, then go into Newegg and ask them to price match, which they do very graciously, and I walk out with disk in hand.