RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VM Backup

drwhatley

Well, what are you using for the VMs? 

If you're using just Windows in the VMs, couldn't you just use the built in backup feature?

As far as I can remember it does, but you need to power off the VM. It's not really veeams "fault" as the Backup APIs are not available in the free version of ESX. If you need to do backup of powered on vms you really can only do that from within the VM itself (if your using ESXi and not V-Sphere)

And that's what I meant, the windows stuff.... Or if you have WHS running in a VM.... :)

Also, IIRC, HyperV can take online snapshots... So HyperV Server 2012 may be a good option...

, HyperV can take online snapshots... So HyperV Server 2012 may be a good option...

Of course ESXi can take snapshots, been there since, well when vmware launched their first hypervisor 200 years ago. 

• 2 months later...

And that's what I meant, the windows stuff.... Or if you have WHS running in a VM.... :)

Also, IIRC, HyperV can take online snapshots... So HyperV Server 2012 may be a good option...

Of course ESXi can take snapshots, been there since, well when vmware launched their first hypervisor 200 years ago. 

Not that snapshots are a backup. But Veeam does work extremely well with Hyper-V as well. Much easier/faster than even Server 2012's backup as it can do it while the VMs are active. The backup built into the OS is a "traditional" backup rather than the entire VM package.

FYI Veeam doesn't support Windows 8 Pro. I jumped through all kinds of hoops to load it. Enabled the Administrative account. Got all the way to the last step and it said my OS wasn't supported. It should have checked that when I installed it.

I use Windows 8 Pro with WHS 2011 running in a VM. WHS Server Backup is able to backup the VM.

Edited by Technogod