RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

VPN into WHS from overseas for TV

Vail

I'm planning a WHS build for a server that will stay in the States at my home for an extended period of time while I'm overseas. I'm looking at the Core I3 and the Gigabyte H55 USB3 board everyone seems to be talking about.

I'm going to be away a year at a time and I want to be able to record local OTA tv on the WHS in the States and watch wherever I am in the world. I am considering setting up a VPN, probably with my tomato router (although I haven't been able to get the VPN configured properly yet).

I have been using Windows Media Center on my Windows 7 desktop and that's about the extent of my TV recording knowledge. I've just today looked at SageTV and it looks like it does remote viewing for an extra fee. Am I stuck with a solution that I'll have to pay for or will the VPN give me more options?

How would you do it if you were in my shoes? What hardware and software would you use? Since I'm new at this could you explain your terms and reasons?

BTW, the VPN is going to be used for more than TV, so it will be there regardless of whether it's used for TV specifically.

The issue is going to be the bandwidth from overseas, if you're going where I think you're going. Just hitting my Small Business Server box back in Myrtle Beach and a WHS box in Italy is hard sometimes just to hit web interfaces using LogMeIn.
I did manage to push some video files via VPN back to the States and I think it took 2 days to push five 300 meg files. The Tomato Router should work just fine just make sure your WHS box has a static address for the port forwarding and use port 1723.

SageTV is one possibility because it does have placeshifter for remote viewing.

Another possibility (even thought I have not used one) is a Sling box.

Finally, you simply do a file transfer from the US to your remote location to view what you want. If you set this up to perform the transfer during off hours is would be sitting waiting for you locally.

I have ADSL with 2.5 mbps down and .43 mbps up right now for the server. I could upgrade to 768 kbps up but that's the fastest ADSL plan ATT is advertising. I know there are much faster speeds available with cable internet.

I'll probably have an ADSL connection with about the same speed or a bit higher overseas.

cskenney, what would I be transferring? Are the files recorded by sagetv able to be downloaded and watched on another computer or is DRM going to be a problem for OTA TV? What about windows media center?

Sage records to a .mpg format with no DRM restrictions on the file. This allows you to view the files with any video player that can handle a MPEG file format. Files are large but no restrictions.

I am not sure about windows media center and DRM for OTA broadcasts. I know there are some posts I have seen that WMC will DRM cable broadcasts that have the flag set for DRM when using a cable card.

FYI - Sage Placeshifter is designed for remote streaming. It will adjust the quality of the video to match the available bandwidth. If you really want to know more about SageTV without having to wade through the SageTV forum, contact OhPleaseNo on the homeservershow forums. He has written a couple of blog posts about Sage.