RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
vhymetoo

Warning: ESXi 5.5 appears to break ANY and ALL passthrough capabilities on HP Microserver Gen8

vhymetoo

Passthrough of onboard SATA and PCI sata card worked, USB Renanas passthrough did not - In version ESXi 5.1.

Now in ESXi 5.5 HP GA version:

Selecting hardware for passthrough is successful. Even the USB 3 Renassis controller successfully stays after reboot.

However the problems start happening:

Adding a passthrough device to a VM and then attempting to start the VM will result in a error "Failed to start the virtual machine.
Failed to register the device pciPassthru0 for 14:0.0 due to unavailable hardware or software support"

Perhaps for whatever reason it thinks VT-D is no longer enabled or something like that (in vSphere client it shows Direct Path I/O as supported....)?

Seems ESXi 5.5 is breaking all passthrough support.

comments on this page are outline two other users with similar issue: http://www.tinkertry.com/vmware-vsphere-5-5-announced-with-general-availability-likely-the-week-of-september-9-2013/

-vhymetoo

Edited by vhymetoo

psikey

Passthrough of onboard SATA and PCI sata card worked, USB Renanas passthrough did not - In version ESXi 5.1.

Now in ESXi 5.5 HP GA version:

Selecting hardware for passthrough is successful. Even the USB 3 Renassis controller successfully stays after reboot.

However the problems start happening:

Adding a passthrough device to a VM and then attempting to start the VM will result in a error "Failed to start the virtual machine.

Failed to register the device pciPassthru0 for 14:0.0 due to unavailable hardware or software support"

Perhaps for whatever reason it thinks VT-D is no longer enabled or something like that (in vSphere client it shows Direct Path I/O as supported....)?

Seems ESXi 5.5 is breaking all passthrough support.

comments on this page are outline two other users with similar issue: http://www.tinkertry.com/vmware-vsphere-5-5-announced-with-general-availability-likely-the-week-of-september-9-2013/

-vhymetoo

Is this with updated CPU as the two standard ones don't support VT-D as far as intel specs so I had no USB 3 Renassis controller with 5.1.

I updated mine to a Xeon 1265LV2 partly for this but haven't tried 5.5 myself yet.

Edited by psikey

vhymetoo

This is with an updated CPU, specifically Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2

EDIT: No luck or success with HP 5.5 image. Im blowing it away back to 5.1, lame. Upside is now forcing me to avoid USB 3 passthrough and just upgrade windows vm to 2012/8 for xHCI support

Edited by vhymetoo

claytonross