RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

"Add features to Windows 8" is not available

drwhatley

I'm trying to add Media Center to Windows 8 Pro x64. I've double checked and it is Professional not Enterprise. My copy was obtained through MSDN.

When I search settings for "Add features..." nothing comes up other than turn windows features on or off.

It looks like lots of people are having this issue and I've scoured the web and can't find a fix. I've also looked under Windows activation settings and the "get new features with a different version of Windows" is not available.

Untitled.png

If I remember correctly, the MSDN download was a VL (volume license) ISO and I don't think WMC was supported.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/da8b1554-af4a-467b-a93b-0d18f079f19c/windows-8-pro-volume-license-version-does-not-have-add-features-therefore-cannot-install-media

I have not been able to find a work around.

Yeah, I'm thinking that since it RTM. Microsoft is holding off making the purchase of Media Center keys.

I did test that it works. I download a pirated key from the web and it did the install and rebooted and Media Center works. So it's working. But because it's a pirated key, you will get the reboot warning every hour. You can't uninstall. So I think it's a waiting game until the Media Center keys become available.

Note: With my Windows 7 Ultimate ( with Media Center) I was able to do the Windows 8 online install ( when it became available) and the installer saw that I had Media Center so it gave me 8.0 with Media Center. But when I try to upgrade 8.0 to 8.1 it wants to wipe the OS and asks for a key. The online upgrade is not available so I can't do what I did with 8.0 to get Media Center.

• 2 weeks later...

Just did a fresh install of win 8.1 and tried to purchase WMC add-on.

It gives me a region error, anyone else have success?