RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Memory - 4Gb or 6Gb with kit?

tekguru

Guys I just bought:

PROLIANT MICROSERVER TURION, 2.22GB 250GB NHPL SATA LFF IN, Manu. Part#: 704941−421

with this memory kit:

HP 4GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600E-9 Kit Manu. Part#: 593923-B21

The question is, does the 4Gb DIMM in the memory kit replace the existent 2Gb on the server or does it work along side it?

I can't find a definitive answer,

Cheers in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikon

• tekguru

• FiLiNuX

• johnas

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a 1x4 gb so you can install it along side the 2gb module it comes with.

Edit: you get best performance by matching pairs but 6gb is better than 2 or 4.

Edited by johnas

Always better to work in matched pairs.  That's not to say the 4=2, will not work, but you could see some funky behavior.

I ran an N40L (first microserver) with 3GB (1 GB + 2 GB) for a while without any problems.  I've since upgraded the computer to 8GB total, but that was for other reasons.  I don't know how the performance compared to a single 1GB or a single 2GB stick since I never tried that, but I don't remember it doing anything odd ever.

Been speaking to a few other techies that I know and even there thoughts were mixed, but the majority were in favour of a single 4Gb stick so that is the way I'll go.

I'm in the same quandary... just bought 8gb stick and was going to include the original 2gb as well. I thought as I'd be using ZFS with FreeNAS this would be beneficial ie 10gb unmatched would be better than 8gb alone.

Am I better off just replacing the 2gb with the 8gb stick?

Why not try for yourself? Both scenarios run with the ram in single channel so you won't take a performance hit with 2 unmatched as I understand it.

But ZFS is memory intensive so you may benefit from the extra 2gb.

While I agree with many of the statements here I am going to have to say (Johnas beat me to it :) BOTH configurations are going to be running "single channel".  The real world benefits of having the extra 2GB in both cases is far going to out weigh the "this benchmark shows" benefits of dual channel vs single channel memory configs.  As we all know HP ships from the factory in a single DIMM config.