RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast Redirection

Don W

With the demise of TechNet, I was wondering how many people are going to stop using Server 2012 in a home environment? It is way too expensive to buy for home use. I think you could start doing stories on alternative solutions, like FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, XBMC and other solutions. I know the name of the show is Home Server and you started out talking about WHS, but now that MS is ditching WHS, it's about time to switch to something else. 

Thanks

Don

But even WHS 2011 has its limits. No Storage Spaces, does not support natively UEFI Bios with GPT partitions. I know there is a hotfix for it but I have also heard/read of people that relied on the hotfix and could not restore their PC. Even though the name of it is WHS 2011, it is based on Server 2008 which is five years old. Like I said in the question, is there going to be any re-direction in the podcast. There is a lot of stuff out there that is not going to cost an arm and a leg just to get a license.

I will leave it up to Dave, but he discussed taking the podcast into a new direction at the meetup.

We know affordable server software for the home user is gone, I'm not paying over $400 for

2012. As I said above, I am actively looking into alternatives for WHS. Once again MS kills

great products that no one knows about like Windows Media Center and WHS.

I agree the price of WSE2012 is pretty high, but I don't agree it is necessarily too expensive for home use. Certainly it will be too expensive for many homes, but not for all. I think a lot depends on how much use is going to be made of it. If there are lots of computers (e.g. kids) it could still be worthwhile. Also, many people run small businesses from home -- it could be a good fit for them.

@HSS_Dave. That logo is begging to be put on a T-shirt. I may want to hit you up for a hi-res version of it :D