RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

MyMovies, AirVideo and iPad

Sam

Now that a few of us have the iPad... let's talk about WHS/movies/iPad ;-)

AirVideo is a fantastic App to play movies on your iPad .... FROM your server !!!

Read:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/04/16/streaming-from-windows-home-server-to-your-ipad-with-airvideo/

====

Now, I have to create a workflow for all the videos I have on the server. Most of them are direct ISOs, which won't play on the AirVideo.I might go back to MKV's, and also install an instance of the AirVideo server on my PC, and let my PC convert the videos using the AirVideo converter ???Ofcourse, we also have to figure out what will the MyMovies do with the extra converted videos ;-( ?My potential setup;

- Movies reside on the server

- MyMovies / Media Player plays the movies on the Zino in Living Room

- iPad plays the movies on the road

- Directly uploading "converted" (Handbrake AppleTV) videos to iPad

- AirVideo on iPad playing "converted" (conversion via AirVideo?) from Server.

Combining the last two is the key.

Any ideas and input?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• Sam

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

Top Posters In This Topic

Sam,

I plan to cover this soon. If not on our podcast, at least another show or potentially a new podcast startup. Send me your address and Skype and we can chat next week.

Mike f. Also has one and has reached out to me.

If anyone else has purchase an iPad let me know. If anyone would like to blog about their experiences let me know as well.

Dave

I was holding out for the slate or curio but it sounds like both may be getting the ax before ever going to production. Looks like I may never have that style device.

None of the Andriod/Win7 tablets will be able to compete with iPad in speed/price/battery capabilities. I think the only player still standing is HP with the Palm/OS, and these guys are a year away. There is a reason all the big players pulled/killed their offering ;-(

This will surely be a contraversial discussion, however having just bought one I will say that it is a very nice device and with a clear understanding of what you want to do with it, it does a fantastic job. I have a few issues with it but overall love the decice for what it is intended to do.

Sam,

Air video is a great product and I have used on both standard and HD MKV as well as H.264 and it is pretty awesome. I have successfully used it on 3G but that requires a bit of adjusting. As for the format discussion, I have my own system on what I do. Since I only use folder structure for SD and HD, making an MKV from the structure is very easy. Have fun with your new toy.

In the iPad app store there are two versions of Air Video. One is Free and the other one is $2.99. I can't find anywhere on their site or the app store that compares the two versions. Does anyone know if there are limitations on the free version?

I can answer my own question now! The difference of time in these two posts is what it took me to get the server and app running. It's very simple. I tried to list all my DVD's with the free app and it would only list 3 random dvd's and there was a button to list "More Items." Touching this prompted to the paid app.

There may be other limitations but that's what I found so far. In the time it took to install I also watched an AVI and a MT2S file. Very nice app.

Dave,

You beat me to it as I just looked and remembered why I had paid for the app.

Dave. What format are your dvd's in? Do leave them in the folder structure?

I dual rip them to MPEG and Video_TS. It picked up the MPEG file in the folder as I don't think it can do the Video_TS or ISO right? It looked great but really pegged the CPU. I didn't put it on my WHS either. It's on my MediaCenter Server/PC. I didn't want Java or Bonjour on the WHS.

I have not tried anything fancy with it. Still more to test.