RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Meetup 2013 Synology - Small beginnings, big potential...

scootere3

Hello everyone!  I just wanted to start a thread as a way to give back to the community as the winner of the Synology NAS.  Of course this would not be possible without the help of Dave, the sponsors and all of the presenters at the meet up.  Why?, they showed me many of the different possibilities to serve information for a mix of purposes, protecting/backing up data, playing media and accessing files remotely.  I have a WHS v1 "frakenbuild" (in service since 2008) which has saved me many times over the years.  As I posted earlier, I was pretty tame in the way I used the Home Server (primarily for bare metal backups and multiple copies of my data) though I had great visions of media streaming (my htpc experiment didn't go so well) and anywhere access.  Since the v1 was getting a little long in the tooth I decided to upgrade to a N54L (based on the tremendous posts available here in the forums) and went to the meet up to see what was in the realm of the possible.  Needless to say, I was not disappointed in the variety of ways to achieve the mix of things above. 

So you must be asking, what are you going to do with this awesome prize (many volunteered to help by taking the burden away from me)? Well to be up front, I don't know...  After I saw Dave's excellent presentation of the potential of the Synology (timing expertly managed by the "the time hammer" Jim Collison) I was very impressed with the range of possibilities and thought "Wow, wouldn't it be great to win the NAS and try this out"...  well I feel very lucky and blessed that I did win and I will get to find this out.  So, what great things have you achieved since you got back?  I plugged it in and was happy to report all was well.  After starting, I quickly recognized the Apps Dave mentioned in his presentation and started to experiment... a little bit.  I downloaded a couple of apps and poked around the interface to get a feel for the possibilities and was impressed (like I was at the meetup) with the possibilities.  While before I was quite happy with moving to the N54L, I felt I had to take a step back and reassess what I wanted to do as part of my home strategy.  So part of this will be my reassessment of what I want to do and how to achieve it.  I hopefully will not bore everybody but I learned one thing during the meet up, the potential/possibilities are tremendous but they should be grounded in what are you trying to do?  I feel lucky to compare two of the best solutions in the market (Home Server and Synology) and report on how they helped achieve my goals.  I plan to post regularly but I have just moved over the last 30 days (from Alaska to Virginia) and need to knock out other things as well. 

I promised pictures of the setup so here it goes...

Synology and Microserver noflash (640x480).jpg

This is the Synology next to the new, not quite operational, un-modified N54L

Next is the start-up screen...

Synology Start Home Page (640x480).jpg

I used the start-up wizard to learn the basics and download a couple of apps.

This is the cool part, what is the final storage capacity when you add 5 3TB Western Digital Red dries to the NAS....

Synology total storage (640x480).jpg

10.3 TB of available storage with the Synology NAS... awesome!   

This is just a start but I intend to test the capabilities one step at a time and present my findings to the forum.  Thanks again to Dave and everybody who makes this possible.

Cheers,

Chuck Thompson

Edited by scootere3

That's awesome! It was great meeting you and catching up with your brother. I've had the 1512+ for a year or so and love it! Let me know if you have any questions.

Congrats again, your so damn lucky!

Thanks for the replies, I did pick up the books!  Both volumes were on sale so I nabbed them.

As to the Synology, so far I have been doing the "blocking and tackling" of data management by backing up my data from the WHS v1 to the Synology.  Nothing too eciting but it is nice to have the Synology act as my bridge as I prepare to bring the WHS 2011 online.  Once complete I will be looking at using the Plex server next!  More updates to follow......

Have a great week!

Chuck

Hello everybody!,

It was a slow week on the Synology front, a crazy week at work as well as at home limited my experimentation with the Synology.  I did get around to trying the Plex server a bit when I transferred some previous movie rips onto the Synology.  The transfer was no problem and the Plex server recognized the movies quickly and matched the metadata for most of the movies with no problem.  These were copies of movies I purchased but I wanted to stream to mobile devices.  Unfortunately the files would not stream from the Synology in the format I have them in (VIDEO_TS) and need to be converted.  After some research (handbrake vs MakeMKV), I've decided to experiment with streaming the .mkv format and try that with my mobile devices.  Unfortunately I did not get enough time yet to complete the experiment but will report my success as the week continues and I get some more time. 

Looking forward to getting this to work!

Have a great week!

Chuck Thompson

P.S.  I moved from Anchorage, AK

Hello everybody!

Well it was an exciting week from a tech perspective.  I did get Plex to work streaming to my mobile devices after I converted the DVD rip files to MKV using makeMKV beta.  While the file conversion was painless and I replaced the VOB files with the .mkv and had the Plex server rescan the files I added.  This was pretty cool and I am working on converting my DVD files to the MKV format for streaming.  While I had success in this objective, I had a hiccup in another.  While transferring files from my v1 WHS, I had a warning one of my disks had failed.  Fortunately I had transferred much of data to the Synology so I was able to troubleshoot the WHS v1 with peace of mind the important data was safe (I still have an offsite backup via Carbonite and Crashplan).  I did some basic trouble shooting and the drive did recover with no data loss, I am not sure if the issue was the SATA port or a basic problem but I did give me the motivation to get my 2011 server project completed....  :)  This goes back to my original post about figuring out my data plan for the future.  So far I purchased 2x 2TB WD Red drives to install in the 2011.   While this will not give me the same storage capacity as the Synology, it will give me enough to establish a bare metal backup of my desktops/laptop in addition to experimenting with streaming media to compare with Plex.  In the meantime, my photos and important data will be protected on the WHS v1 (as long as no more drives fail) and the Synology.

I did update the DSM software from 4.2 to 4.3.  Very easy to do through the control panel, just select DSM update and update once the download is complete.

I hope everyone has a great week!

Cheers,

Chuck Thompson