RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L Router

CablDeViL

OK so I am going to use my unused N40L for a Firewall/ Router. I have installed a new Intel dual Nic, upgraded the bios and bumped up the memory. The question is pfSense or Untangle?   I am leaning toward installing pfSense tonight unless any of the users sway me the other way.

No I am not going to VM it and I want to keep it simple as it will sit in my closet.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to your comments.

Bill

Hi Bill,

To get this started I will say that both pfSense & Untangle are wonderful products and I am sure you will find multiple people that recommend one over the other for certain uses / deployments(Some use both!).  With that said, my recommendation is for pfSense.  You stated a Firewall/Router is what you want and that is where pfSense excels at no cost.  Not to mention it has 2 scoops of FreeBSD in every download!!

I hope I am not stepping out of line  here with the link but the Linux Action Show just did a great show this week titled "pfSense Makes Sense" .  They give a nice overview of pfSense and more.  

http://www.jupiterbroadcasting.com/43452/pfsense-makes-sense-las-s28e09/

I listen to LAS every week even the bonus shows great resource for any NIX fan. I wanted to do this since Mike H did his super router config back in the early 2000s  =).  Now that I Have this hardware laying here I figured (after I listened to LAS) it was time to get my butt in gear. Especially now that I have more time on my hands to play again.

Funny the LAS talked about pf since Untangled is a sponsor.  "Bobs Your Uncle" and I have a project tonight!

TY

With the shape of today's cyber playing field, I will stick to a secure platform that I can trust in FreeBSD. But once I can find out what UTM is built on I will sure test it in a VM.

Have you tried it yet? Thanks for the link! 

I used pfsense for years at home on hardware and in small labs (as virtual systems), never had any problems.

If you are interested in advanced routing/firewall stuff, maybe have a look at MikroTik, they also have x86 software versions of their operating system. (and nice hardware too). ... and no, i don't work for MikroTik ;-)

They are especially good in advanced routing like OSPF, RIP, BGP, ... things pfsense can't do.

Btw. soon i have my N40L replaced with a Gen8 MicroServer, not sure yet what i will do with the spare hardware.

But don't you think it uses a bit too much power to serve "only" as router/firewall ?