RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Touch Screen and Multi Monitors

Poppapete

I have for many years had more than 1 monitor and am addicted such that now I have 6 screens on 2 X GeForce GTX 670's. (When you get as old as I am you will understand.) So I wanted to try Windows 8 with a touch Monitor.  After much investigation I settled on a Viewsonic TD 2420.  I have played with it for 2 months attached directly to the MB as well as the GPU's (both HDMI & DisplayPort), tried all the drivers I could find but it never did anything but accept a simple touch, no swipes etc.

I connected it to my sony vaio duo windows 8 laptop and it works a treat.  So I contact Viewsonic and a very helpful guy tells me that no way will a touch screen work in full mode with multiple screens attached in windows.

Does anyone else have experience with this or have I wasted my $500 investment.

Edited by Poppapete

I go to that setting every time I reload a driver or change the video input. It never recognizes my "touch" and says there is limited touch support for the viewsonic TD2420.

So I decided to go into nvidia settings and disable all 6 non TS monitors.  Rebooted and the Touch Screen Monitor worked a treat. Then I enabled all the other monitors and it is still working. Not game enough to do a reboot to see what happens. Just happy to play with the touch screen for a while.

What version of Windows 8 are you running? Win 8.1 seems to fix some issues with multiple monitors.

Edited by schoondoggy

I have 8.1 which if anything made it worse. My touch screen is still working full steam along with my 6 "old" monitors but I have not rebooted yet in case I loose touch capability which I suspect I will.

I should comment that the multi-monitor experience (non touch screens) with 8.0 and 8.1 is excellent. I have been using multiple screens for many years. Originally I used the third party "mon" software but Microsoft support has improved with each upgrade since win98 when it was first available.

Edited by Poppapete

I was wrong. I have rebooted and I have a fully operational 24" touch screen as well as 6 old fashioned 24" screens working on windows 8.1 even though the viewsonic help desk said it would not work.

Great info Poppapete; thanks for posting.

BTW, I hear you on the multi-monitors (I'm using 2 Dell 30" UltraSharps). For most of my life I had 20/10 in my right eye and 20/5 (the limit they can test for) in my left. Unfortunately, age catches up with all of us :(