RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Apple Airport Extreme 5th Gen $74.99

schoondoggy

Can this do what Dave was demonstrating with his Windows Phone playing music over Airplay at the meetup?  I looked for an Airport Express but they seem to be discontinued.  If so, this is about as cheap as the refurbished Airport Express units out there.

The answer is NO.

Although, I think this is a great deal.  These are normally $179.  If not used as a router they make a great access point and small switch.  There is a guest mode and the 5Ghz works good.  The only thing you have to get your head wrapped around is the fact that there is no web access for configuration.  You have to use Airport Utility.  It's not an enthusiast router and it's limited to 50 clients.  Mapping ports can be funky but it works well.  Did I say it's a good AP? I'll get one for that price.  No Airplay, sorry.  Only on the express.

I'm running both the AP Extreme and the Express on my home network. It is the only Apple product that I have been very impressed with. I like that you need the Airport Utility to configure it. It makes it just a little harder to hack. I don't like that I have to manually configure port mapping. but the regular firmware updates that Apple pushes out is a major plus in my opinion. Other routers that I have had never got any updates or you have to check their website to find out if there is one and then the updates are not always strait forward.

I use the Express as a range extender for the Extreme and switching between the access points is seamless.

The answer is NO.

Although, I think this is a great deal.  These are normally $179.  If not used as a router they make a great access point and small switch.  There is a guest mode and the 5Ghz works good.  The only thing you have to get your head wrapped around is the fact that there is no web access for configuration.  You have to use Airport Utility.  It's not an enthusiast router and it's limited to 50 clients.  Mapping ports can be funky but it works well.  Did I say it's a good AP? I'll get one for that price.  No Airplay, sorry.  Only on the express.

Thanks Dave!  I'm (intentionally) somewhat clueless on most i-thingies.  I normally wouldn't want to bring one into my house, but your demo was pretty cool, and the cost is a whole lot better than Sonos.

Just to clarify, I don't actually need an airport base or other airport to make the express work the way you showed, right?  It will work with my existing wifi and can be configured without other Apple stuff?

Correct. To do the "poor man's sonos" you just need the Airport Express and a set of computer speakers.  You can join the express to your existing wireless network or plug it into ethernet.  Enable Airplay and you are set.