RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

The Post #meetup2013 Thread

Dave

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to thank those that came to the Meetup.  Also, big hand to all the sponsors who helped get it off the ground.  I had a great time and learned even more about how to get an event like this going! 

Use this thread to discuss everything about the meetup.  

Dave

awraynor

Great effort by everyone. And let's not forget to thank Mrs. HomeServerShow for sharing you with us.

dvn

Let me summarize: Awesome!

Met a lot of interesting people, people I knew well and those I just met. Got to take part in some great discussions. Saw some excellent presentations. What a blast! Can't wait for next year!!

Dave

Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you put some thoughts here about everything #meetup2013 for me?  Most folks can't attend and I would like you guys to help portray what it's like to attend.  Also, report in on your winnings and what you are up to with them! We have already heard from DanielW on his new N54L.  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6219-new-hp-micro-server-setup/

This is also a good spot to thank those that helped it all come together.  The people and the sponsors.  Thanks for making this a great meetup guys!

jetmech96

The meetup was just plain Awesome!  Thank you Dave, Jim, all the Sponsors and everyone who came.  It was an honor and a pleasure to meet you all.  I wish it was longer.  I learned so much.  I think this was possibly more fun than when I went to Oshkosh for the first time last year.

I didn't realize that when I went to Indianapolis, that it was going to end up like Vegas.  I walked away with more stuff than what I spent on the trip.  Thank you to Dave, the DMZ guys and our sponsors for picking up all the meals.  I only had to pay for my hotel room and gas to get there, but I walked away with so much more.  I got 2 copies of Windows 8 Pro and 2 1-year subscriptions to Xbox gold live from Microsoft, multiple t-shirts (can't wait to wear my autographed DMZ shirt), a copy of Recorded TV HD, many other great gifts and finally the 6 TB Lenovo Iomega iX2.

Ironic thing about the iX2 was there was a perfect spot just waiting for it because I just retired my Qnap TS-109 a few weeks back.  So there was a perfect spot with power and Networking sitting and waiting.

Before.JPG After.JPG After2.JPG

I am working on setting it up as a ISCSI target for my machines, because I have never had anything that could do it before.  I want to learn how to use it and set it up, so that it will be perfect when I upgrade to the 8-bay Synology filled with Western Digital Reds (shameless plug for our sponsors).

Again thank you Dave.  Can't wait for next year.  Anything that I can do to make this even bigger and better next year, I am there!

Matt

scootere3

Dave,

Thanks to you and the sponsors for a fantastic meetup.  I have always wanted to attend so I can meet the community that has helped me understand what is possible in the world of home servers (now transitioning in this world of mobile devices).  I built my first home server in 2008 and used it is for the basic bare metal backups and protecting my information.  I always knew I could do more but just didn't have the time/resources/patience to get it done.  It was great to meet the others in the community I knew from the forums and had already experimented with what is possible and see their setups.  This meetup was important to me and my brothers since I just purchased a N54L microserver (a decision made easier by this community) and convinced my brother to do the same.  We got to see/hear about many ways how to design our data strategies and to make a dent in the "digital shoebox" conundrum.  This was made possible by your efforts and the sponsors. 

So I am sure somebody is wondering about the Synology NAS I was lucky enough to win in the drawing at the end of the meetup.  Well I brought it home and just plugged it in last night (what took you so long is what you are thinking....) and started to look at the power and possibilities this has.  I know Dave is a big Synology fan and I can see why.  I couldn't spend much time on it last night but will post pictures in the Synology forum either later today or tomorrow.  This is making me take a step back and assess how I can use this in my data strategy going forward.  As I take the next steps I will be sure to give back to the community that has helped me so much. 

Thanks again to Dave, the sponsors and all of the presenters who made the 2013 meet up the best ever!

Chuck Thompson

drwhatley

This year's meetup was fantastic. Thanks to those who sponsored, donated, or just gave up their time to make this a great experience. I'll be posting more on my N54L as I play more with it. I must say it is a sweet device! As of right now I'd highly recommend it. Winning it at the meetup has given me the ability to really get started on home visualization and home server use. I'm proud to join the ranks of microserver owners.

You all inspire me! Thanks again for a great meetup.

Dave

Alan Eisen donated a boatload of gear to give away this year.  I left your name off of the poster. My apologies Alan.  Alan2k here in the forums.  

Simple-TV

Ceton InfinitTV4
Silcon Dust HD HomeRun 
Roku 2 
Seagate Expansion 3TB 
Boxee Box 
Drobo FS Used w/ 4 * 500 Gig Hard drives.
Pogo Plug - Used
Sans Digital TR5M+B eSATA RAID 0/1/10/5/JBOD Tower 5 Bay

Also, thanks to John Aydelotte aka BSR here in the forums donated the HP Microserver.

Kevin Schoonover donated the NAS ioMega, tons of time, and a whole lot of infrastructure gear.  Some of which I have boxed up for future events.

I hope I have everyone thanked.  If you won some gear please give these guys a message and thank them.

up7500

The meetup was awesome.  Got to meet in person lots of people that I listen to on Podcasts.  Best thing was I walked away with a 3TB external drive which is going to be connected to my V1 homeserver for backups, replacing a current 250 GB model.

Again lots of thanks to Dave, Jim, and all the others for setting up such an awesome meetup.