• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

• Leo

I got the server working okay but I can't seem to find anyway of getting it to sleep. I installed a trial of Lights-out but when I select standby it says that the server does not support this. Could someone please tell me the best way of getting the server to sleep when it is not required? Lights-out seems to have an option to shut it down at certain times but I don't get how it starts it up again once it's been shutdown? I've looked at the usual sort of power settings in control panel but WHS seems to keep loads of disk activity going even when it is not being used. I've also looked at the BIOS and there doesn't appear to be any options. I'm using the stock BIOS. I've enabled WOL so I guess that means my music players can wake it up but I'm lost as to why HP would implement WOL if the server doesn't support a sleep mode. I guess I'm missing something here :)?

The only things running on the server are Logitech Media Server, Asset DLNA server, WSUS and Raxco Perfect Disk defragmenter. At the moment there are no client PC's configured so it is purely for serving music. As such I don't need it running during the night. What is the best way of handling this?

Also, are there any issues with using Windows 8 as a WHS 2011 client? Does the dashboard work okay and is it okay as a backup client?

I seem to remember a Server Service that run with that add-In...check that and make sure it is running.  Normally, you do not want a server to sleep.

I understand that some servers are required to be on all the time, but mine is an HP Microserver that just serves music. Even if it doesn't use that much power I don't see the point in paying money to the power companies that I don't need to. I'm only listening to music for a couple of hours each day so I was hoping that lights-out would put it to sleep when not in use. On of the advantages of the Microserver to me was that it uses less power than a normal PC, but if a normal PC will go to sleep then it might be a better option, especially given the limitations of the Microserver.

For me it is also about learning about the best way to set-up a music service in a house and I wanted to understand the issues involved in getting music players to wake up servers. It seems as if Logitech Media Server works in a different way to DLNA and I wanted to understand the issues of both. To me that is part of the fun.

Have you read chapter 11 in the Lights-Out manual? It covers setting up your server so that it can sleep and be woken up by clients...

I have my server set up such that it spends most of its time sleeping. It only wakes up when our HTPC is on, or when it's taking backups of our PCs.

Oh, and you can use Windows 8 with WHS 2011. If you have GPT disks in your clients, you'll need an update that Microsoft issued for WHS 2011 a while back.

Thanks for the response. Yes, I've read that section but I'm obviously not quite understanding it! From what I've understood, the HP Microserver has no ability to go into sleep/standby mode, but it does have the ability to go into hibernation. If I'm understanding that correctly, hibernation means storing memory contents etc. on disk and then shutting off power. When that is done I can understand that a client computer can send a wake-up packet to the server to wake it up. What I'm not understanding is how lights-out can wake up the server given that lights-out runs on the very server that it has shutdown? What am I missing?

I want to achieve exactly what you are doing and but are the client backups not instigated by the server? I was trying to understand how a program running on the server can restart the server once it has shut it down. With sleep/standby I assume the server keeps sufficient power to monitor such things, but with hibernation has it not lost that power? I'm also interested in getting the server to start in the middle of the night to download podcasts and things like that, that are not invoked by a client device.

One of the things I'd also like to know is how to get a client music device to wait sufficiently long for a server to come back from hibernation? I assume most client devices will just time out in the time it takes the server to come back from hibernation. Is that something you have overcome or does your server support sleep mode?

That's good news on Windows 8. Thank you.

Client backups are instigated by a scheduled task in the client, which wakes up the client if necessary. The server should already be awake during the backup window that you specify. From Microsoft's Technical Brief:

Your computers must be turned on or they must be in sleep or hibernate mode to be automatically backed up. If a computer is in sleep or hibernate mode, it wakes up, runs Backup, and then goes back in to sleep or hibernate mode.

Important

Laptops and other battery-powered computers must be plugged in to AC power to be automatically backed up. Although the home computer on battery power will be awakened, Windows Home Server will recognize it as battery-powered and automatic backup will not initiate. On home computers running Windows XP, there is no easy way to tell whether the computer was awakened from sleep or hibernate, so the computer is put back to sleep when the backup process completes.  You can also disable this functionality by un-checking the “Wake This Computer For Backup” item by right clicking the Windows Home Server Connector in the system tray.

My server definitely supports a sleep mode. It's a home build. I seem to recall that HP Microservers need a specific firmware to support sleep. Perhaps someone else can help you with a pointer here.