RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

I'm completely lost!

Leo

Hi,

I've only just installed WHS 2011 on an N40L and I'm totally lost by how backup is meant to work. After looking at the options to install an SSD + raid card I decided it was getting too complicated/expensive and I just installed WHS on the 250GB drive. I have four 2TB Red drives in two mirrored pairs. One set is just for my music files and will be used with Squeezeboxes and DLNA clients. The other set I planned to use for backups of the server and the client PC's.

But it doesn't seem to work like that :angry:? I've read through a large number of the postings on here and I'm getting more and more confused! Not sure if it is old age or that I'm basically rather dumb... but I'm lost as to why I can't partition the second mirror and use part of it for the WHS server backup and part for the client backup. Nothing seemed to tell me this... I just kept seeing a disk, or folder, or something disappear! I guess there must be some logical reason? If I've understood correctly it seems as if the backup device for WHS itself has to be an entire drive or I have to follow the VHD instructions. Is that correct? Also, if I've understood correctly, the client backup program works on sectors rather than files and individual files can't be restored?

One of the things I'm completely lost with is the significance of the file/folder naming on the server. Is there any significance of the "server folders" name on the server of can I just call things what I want? I know that maybe a stupid question but MS seems to want to put things in places where I don't want them to go! With Windows 7 I know what I can change but with WHS I'm lost as to what is required and what is optional? For example, can I just delete the video folder and all the others I don't want on the server? Can someone please point me at a post that explains this? My goal is always to keep the opsys and data completely separate.

With WHS I'd like to use WSUS to update the client PC's and use WHS to back them up. But in addition to this I'd like to take full image backups (using another program) of the PC's at various stages of build and store those on the server. I also have a number of file backup utilities that I'd like to use to backup file versions both to the WHS server and to offline storage.

My main question is, with the storage I've got, how should I configure it? The files that I wish to backup from client PC's don't take more than about 100GB but I have no idea how much space the WHS client backups take. I assume that WHS de-duplicates the operating system files that it backs up for each client, so that backing up five clients will not be five times one client, but how much space does that take?

Lastly, I plan to re-installing Windows on all my client machines and using Win 8 on the main one. I'm not sure how Win 8 plays with WHS but on the Win 8 machine I'd also like to use VMware Workstation to install virtual operating systems. Can WHS back these up too or is there some better way of managing them?

I'm so completely lost that any help would be much appreciated. Sorry it is such a long post!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gcoupe

• jmwills

• Joe_Miner

• Leo

So, the backup are running?  Yes, no?  It was hard to follow the post but one thing I did see was about versioning.  Why not use Shadow Copies and allocate some of the server space for that?

Hi Leo and welcome to the Forums!  When you get a chance introduce yourself.

Starting with the basics, I suggest you study the links in New MicroServer: Where to Start -- follow some of the links and you'll eventually find some books you probably should be looking at too.

And you should read/study through the TechNET WHS-2011 sections at:

Windows Home Server 2011 OnLine Help for Administrators

Windows Home Server 2011 OnLine Help

(if you clicked help in WHS-2011 it would take you to the 2nd link which has a link to the Admin help in it also that would take you to the 1st link for more detail)

To address one of your issues, Server Backup, to configure server backup you must connect an external hard drive to the server to use as the backup target hard drive – from the notes at TechNET's Learn More About Setting Up Server BackupYou can back up your data to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, or eSATA. ...” My external server backup drive is a 2TB drive in a docking station connected thru a USB 3.0 port in the Server.

Edited by Joe_Miner

You don't have to have an external drive for server backup.  However, the volume selected (internal or external) cannot be used for any other purpose other than Server backup and 2TB is totally a waste.

You don't have to have an external drive for server backup.  However, the volume selected (internal or external) cannot be used for any other purpose other than Server backup and 2TB is totally a waste.

2TB is not a waste at all.  I use WHS-2011 Server Backup to backup my “critical” data like our family photos & videos, CPE courses, Financials, etc. – the TechNET article on Server Backup for WHS-2011 states that:

Items to be backed up

By default, all hard disks, files, and folders are selected for backup. You can choose to back up all the hard disks, files, and folders on the server, or select only individual hard disks, files, or folders to backup. To add or remove items for the backup, do one of the following:

• To include a data drive in the server backup, select the adjacent check box

• To exclude a data drive from the server backup, clear the adjacent check box

To minimize the amount of backup hard disk space that your server backups use, you may want to exclude any folders that contain files that you do not consider valuable or particularly important.

For example, you may have a folder that contains recorded television programs that uses a lot of hard drive space. You may choose not to back up these files because you normally delete them after viewing them anyway. Or you may have a folder that contains temporary files that you do not intend to keep.

Starting with the basics, I suggest you study the links in New MicroServer: Where to Start -- follow some of the links and you'll eventually find some books you probably should be looking at too.

(if you clicked help in WHS-2011 it would take you to the 2nd link which has a link to the Admin help in it also that would take you to the 1st link for more detail)

To address one of your issues, Server Backup, to configure server backup you must connect an external hard drive to the server to use as the backup target hard drive – from the notes at TechNET's Learn More About Setting Up Server BackupYou can back up your data to any external storage drive that supports USB 2.0, IEEE 1394, or eSATA. ...” My external server backup drive is a 2TB drive in a docking station connected thru a USB 3.0 port in the Server.

And they say Linux is hard to learn!! :)  

You don't really mean that a external drive is the ONLY thing you can use for WHS server backup do you?  And as for the server backup being the only thing on a drive (that just sounds crazy) can't you break the drive into partitions at least and then have the server backup be the only thing on the partition?  This all sounds so limiting.  I am REALLY asking as I don't use WHS. 

Edited by FiLiNuX

And they say Linux is hard to learn!! :)  

You don't really mean that a external drive is the ONLY thing you can use for WHS server backup do you?  And as for the server backup being the only thing on a drive (that just sounds crazy) can't you break the drive into partitions at least and then have the server backup be the only thing on the partition?  This all sounds so limiting.  I am REALLY asking as I don't use WHS. 

There is the method that Mr. Smartepants documented in [How to] setup WHS2011 server backup to use a VHD but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner.  Better to go with the MicroSoft documented approach and move to VHD's later if desired IMHO.