RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New HP Micro Server Setup

drwhatley

Hello all! It was great seeing many of you at the meetup.

I am setting up the HP Micro Server that I received at the meetup (Thanks to John for donating it)! Over the weekend I installed Server 2012 Standard just to play around with it. So far I the only hardware I've installed is an optical drive, 8GB of RAM, and a WD 1TB Black. I plan on installing VMware Hypervisor 5.5 and I have a couple of questions.

My use case is wanting to use this device as central data storage on my network so I can access it from any PC, and possibly using it as back for one of my PCs. Other than that, I'm just playing around with it and seeing what it can do.

1. I've added a 1TB WD Black drive to the system and don't plan on adding more disks and raiding at this point. Should I install the VDIs on the 250GB OS Drive (I plan on only 2 or 3) and then partition the TB into 2 or 3 sections for extra space for each machine? What types of configs would you recommend in this situation?

2. Is an upgraded GPU necessary? My only small form factor card is not quite thin enough to fit in the case. I know new cards are cheap but is it necessary for the virtual environment? I don't plan on the machines doing anything graphic intensive, but when I added the Hyper-V role to my 2012 server it mentioned needing a GPU. Is ESXi the same?

I'll be posting more as I move along but thought I'd ask for some input.

Thanks!

I would install ESXi on a thumb drive and run the VM's on the 250 gig drive.  Optimally, you would want an SSD for those VM's in order to gain speed.

Now you say VM's, are you going to partition the 1TB drive and make it aviailable among the various VM's or allocate it all to one?

I would install ESXi on a thumb drive and run the VM's on the 250 gig drive.  Optimally, you would want an SSD for those VM's in order to gain speed.

Now you say VM's, are you going to partition the 1TB drive and make it aviailable among the various VM's or allocate it all to one?

I've got a pair of SSDs I might be using later on. Is it common to run ESXi of a thumb drive?

My plan was to have 2 partitions on the 1TB and add one partition as a letter drive on one VM and the second partition as a letter drive on the second VM.

Common? No.  Can it be done, yes.

Your plan with partitioning the drive will work.  Remember, you only have one copy of the data..no redundancy.

Plan for some offsite storage for critical data.

Common? No.  Can it be done, yes.

Your plan with partitioning the drive will work.  Remember, you only have one copy of the data..no redundancy.

Plan for some offsite storage for critical data.

Yes I'll be backing up my important data offsite. Thanks for the help.

"Common? No.  Can it be done, yes."

I would say this is VERY common.  In fact everyone I know runs from flash.  There are MANY benefits from it and very few (very small) issues that would keep people from running off from flash media.

I used the internal USB header to install ESXi on and ran into no issues. It worked quite well actually. Looks like a lot of others are doing this especially with microservers.

Not trying to be argumentative but just google it and SEE how many people use flash in production & testing EVERYWHERE.  

I guess what I should be asking is why you would never use flash in a production machine?  From Cisco to Vmware and everything in between (sorry Im to lazy to look up A-Z names for a example :) flash is a tried & tested medium for this type of use.