RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help me with my first server build, Equipment and Questions.

Opiy

I want to build my first server so I am very much a noob at this. Not new to building computers but servers, their hardware, and some of the lingo. 

My intended use will be

• Media Sharing
  • File Sharing
  • Desktop Backup
  • Learn Networking and Servers

The last part was said because I want to learn more about networking and how servers work and such. I am considering a possible career change into Network Admin so this server will serve many very useful purposes.

Some of the hardware I have found so far. Please suggest any changes that you think would be for the better. 

Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI (I don't really want an mITX but its the only one so far that I found in stock with dual lan and isn't over $300)

Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER 5 was another I found with dual lan but is so costly.

Ram 

Hard Drive - WD Red or Seagate NAS 

Raid Card - HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL

Power Supply

Processor - Intel i3 or i5 or maybe Xeon

I'm still having a hard time finding a good motherboard I want to use. I am thinking of running Raid 6 and I am considering ZFS. Some of this may be overly optimistic and ambitious so I hope with some advice and my continued study I can figure it out and get this project built.

Other pieces that will go with the server I think I want are:

ZyXEL ZyWALL USG50 Internet Security Firewall 

Cisco SG 300-10P (SRW2008P-K9-NA) 10-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Switch

I plan to pull Cat5 through my house to connect 5 computers. 

Any suggestions or questions please ask. Thanks

I want to build my first server so I am very much a noob at this. Not new to building computers but servers, their hardware, and some of the lingo. 

My intended use will be

• Media Sharing
  • File Sharing
  • Desktop Backup
  • Learn Networking and Servers

The last part was said because I want to learn more about networking and how servers work and such. I am considering a possible career change into Network Admin so this server will serve many very useful purposes.

Some of the hardware I have found so far. Please suggest any changes that you think would be for the better. 

Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2

Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H77N-WIFI (I don't really want an mITX but its the only one so far that I found in stock with dual lan and isn't over $300)

Gigabyte GA-G1.SNIPER 5 was another I found with dual lan but is so costly.

Ram 

Hard Drive - WD Red or Seagate NAS 

Raid Card - HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL

Power Supply

Processor - Intel i3 or i5 or maybe Xeon

I'm still having a hard time finding a good motherboard I want to use. I am thinking of running Raid 6 and I am considering ZFS. Some of this may be overly optimistic and ambitious so I hope with some advice and my continued study I can figure it out and get this project built.

Other pieces that will go with the server I think I want are:

ZyXEL ZyWALL USG50 Internet Security Firewall 

Cisco SG 300-10P (SRW2008P-K9-NA) 10-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Switch

I plan to pull Cat5 through my house to connect 5 computers. 

Any suggestions or questions please ask. Thanks

Most of the hardware you picked out is excellent.  For this type of board, the GSkill memory works very well.  As for the PS, go with Cooler Master, Seasonic, or Corsair.  I would go with a standard motherboard without the Wifi as you should run a Wifi access point into your router or use a wireless router.  Here is a possible suggestion for motherboards.  In the case you picked out you can fit an atx, however running a micro-atx with video output is a much better choice since you are using a raid card (great choice by the way).  If you really need a dual NIC, add one for a few bucks and save some money as opposed to looking at the high end boards that have dual nics.  

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128548

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131831

Thanks for the reply pcdoc.

I didn't even think of the dual NIC card. I was thinking I had to have a dual NIC on the motherboard so that was putting a huge limit on my options.  When I get a chance I will do more research on MBs and look at your suggestions.

I used a power supply calculator and I figured I would get a 450w supply. Maybe overkill but I would rather have a little more than not enough. I was wondering if I needed to get a GOLD certified or if a BRONZE 80 would be good enough. 

I did find this guy with some very good reviews even though it isn't the names listed before. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182066 Rosewill Capstone 450w

There is a CORSAIR RM Series RM450 but it isn't released until 10/30/13. I would be a good one since its fully modular also.

I will likely go with 16gb ram ok G. SKill

I will do more research this weekend.

I concur with pcdoc re: PSU -- go with a 1st tier provider such as SeaSonic (best), Cooler Master, PC Power & Cooling, Corsair. The PSU is the foundation of the system, don't cheap out on it :)

I have decided on a few things. 

This is what I think I want - 

​I am sure some of this is very overkill so I will have to change some things when it comes time to actually start buying. Heck after all this figuring I still may end up with a ProLiant G8 lol but this build would be great I think.

Definitely stock fan. I have an EVO on my Ivy Bridge Core i5 because I do a lot of video encoding on my WSE12 box with QuickSync, and that cooler is huge. Only I have it in a full tower Fractal server case.

I tend not to use stock fans, but I can't argue against them for simple WHS use.

If you do decide to go with a bigger cooler you might look at the Arctic Cooler Freezer 13 (http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/57/.html?c=2181). Like the EVO, it's pretty large, but what I really like (besides the fact it cools really well and is virtually silent) is that the fan is enclosed, so cables and your fingers gon't get caught on the blades. The fan is removable for cleaning.