• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrisPbass

• ikon

• jmwills

• FiLiNuX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice work. Bad RAM is a nasty thing, and can be somewhat difficult to track down; glad timekills & pcdoc could steer you in the right direction. RMA that sucker, although I would probably run memt

Im glad you found the culprit!!  Make sure to follow the above advice though and thoroughly test the suspected bad RAM and KEEP DOCUMENTATION OF IT.  Drashna I agree fully , I have seen RAM do very strange (and often frustrating) things over the years.  

I know I kept beating the "run a live distro" drum over & over but it really is a simple & fast test that cuts out the software/OS side of troubleshooting.  

Edited by FiLiNuX
Drashna Jaelre

Yeah, very important to have LiveCDs to test like that.  Though, I cheat and use WDS to boot memtest, liveCDs, and even winPE images ;)

And even before joining the WHS community, I'd have a fair number of issues with bad RAM. Troubleshooting more in the WHS community just re-affirmed my belief that any weird issues should call for a memtest. Just in case.

I'm about to run memtest but I don't know if that's necessary.

I just put the MB back in the case.  I did not hook up any of the case buttons.  USB kb/mouse and monitor are hooked up.

Same experience....the cursor is very slow across the screen at times.  Sometime it is's OK but in general the same bad behavior is being exhibited.  AND it's doing it w/either mem stick installed.  (I thought maybe I put the 'bad' one back in but apparently not.

Current behavoir makes the behavior w/Fedora on USB very odd. 

SO!  I am somehow shorting out the board? 

Bench test that sucka. Take it out of the case, put it down on a piece of corrugated cardboard (plain brown cardboard, not printed stuff), connect up the PSU (after taking it out of the case), a monitor, and keyboard. Do not connect up a mouse for now. Make sure nothing is installed/connected that isn't absolutely necessary to boot into the BIOS. Try booting that way -- it's about as plain-Jane as you can get and should prove once and for all if the mobo is dead.

ChrisPbass

Bench test that sucka. Take it out of the case, put it down on a piece of corrugated cardboard (plain brown cardboard, not printed stuff), connect up the PSU (after taking it out of the case), a monitor, and keyboard. Do not connect up a mouse for now. Make sure nothing is installed/connected that isn't absolutely necessary to boot into the BIOS. Try booting that way -- it's about as plain-Jane as you can get and should prove once and for all if the mobo is dead.

iKon, see post.  http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6213-1st-build-multiple-problems/#entry69361

I took it out of the case and ran Fedora off of USB and it seemed to run just fine EXCEPT for when the one memory stick was in.  I took it out and ran 1 stick only and it seemed fine.  Put the other stick in by itself and it was laggy and even locked up once.  This lead me to believe that the stick was bad, but now...it's running funky in the case even w/just the 1 'good' stick. 

Not discounting what you're suggesting but the Fedora test seemed to say that the board was OK.  Just kind of at a loss at this point.

I agree with ikon, run it out of the case just to rule that out.  Most utilities do find the weird stuff only hard failures.  The other thing is that it could be a bad motherboard.  Alternatively it could be as I stated in my first post.  I would check the CPU temp and try a different power supply.  That AMD chip I believe has everything on board and most likely the chip is OK as long as it stays cool.

ChrisPbass

I did run it out of the case and it seemed to work fine as long as only 1 mem stick was in.  

The CPU is not running hot. 

It ran fine w/Fedora via USB.  Seriously, I bashed on it w/Fedora.  Opened a bunch of programs, ran HD youtube vids, click, open, close.  Just trying to get it too crash.  Ran just fine. 

EDIT: it ran fine out of the case w/both WHS and Fedora on 1 stick. 

Putting it back in the case caused WHS to bug. 

I did not try Fedora out of the case. 

*SIGH*

Edited by ChrisPbass