RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

1st Build - multiple problems

"Reinstalling the OS and this time I'm going to update drivers and such slowly and carefully."

I really do recommend trying a linux live CD in cases like this.  You literally download the disk, burn it, put it in the drive, and wait for a desktop OS to appear.  If its all snappy & happy its a problem with your OS, if its slow or no go its most likely a hardware issue.  

"This may be as simple as the MOBO shorting out against the case, and yes, I've done it."

I would be EMBARRASSED to honestly tell people how many hours I once spent troubleshooting a new build  only to find out a stray screw was causing a case short!! :) 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrisPbass

• ikon

• jmwills

• FiLiNuX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice work. Bad RAM is a nasty thing, and can be somewhat difficult to track down; glad timekills & pcdoc could steer you in the right direction. RMA that sucker, although I would probably run memt

"Reinstalling the OS and this time I'm going to update drivers and such slowly and carefully."

I really do recommend trying a linux live CD in cases like this.  You literally download the disk, burn it, put it in the drive, and wait for a desktop OS to appear.  If its all snappy & happy its a problem with your OS, if its slow or no go its most likely a hardware issue.  

"This may be as simple as the MOBO shorting out against the case, and yes, I've done it."

I would be EMBARRASSED to honestly tell people how many hours I once spent troubleshooting a new build  only to find out a stray screw was causing a case short!! :) 

I have Mint on CD.  I'll check it out tomorrow. 

Few additional things I would check along with using a lie Linux boot (although if the problems are manifesting in BIOS as you state, its highly unlikely it is an OS-based problem.)

One - As PCDoc said, I strongly suggest trying only one memory stick, and trying any you have individually. Quite often video and/or USB problems are caused by memory. Also often (especially in the past)  caused by...

Two - hard drive/optical drive access. Less likely with SATA (happened much more frequently with IDE) but still possible. You can check the mobo shorting and hard drive all at once. Pull the mobo and put it on the static-proof bag it came in, and fire it up with one stick of memory, CPU and monitor. No hard drive. Go in BIOS and see what happens.

Three - If you have a PS2 mouse and keyboard, try them. It could be a faulty USB connector and IRQ flaking out because of it.

As stated, unlikely it is power. Also not sure who/why you think that system requires 450W of power. If it pull 200W on boot I'd be VERY surprised, and I'd bet it i < 100w while running even under load. Still, as PCDoc said, there is no replacement for a good PSU. A good 400W PSU is capable of putting out significantly more power if required (not that you'd want to do this for long) but more importantly it will have good, stable amperage on the 5v, 12v, and 3v lines. The stable power is much more important than "abundance" of power.

Sorry to be so clueless.

I have mint 15 iso on a flash drive.  I installed it on one pc w/no problem.  It booted to mint and then I installed using the 'install' icon.  Worked like a charm

I took apart the whs server as suggested and use the mint flash but...it boots to the drive.  I get 4 options 1/run mint 2/mint compatibility 3/something 4/test memory

1 and 2 - nothing seems to happen

3 can't remember what that is..

4 memory test 'mint 16' missing (sorry don't remember exactly)

I guess I need to redo the flash iso but if there is something else I'm missing please let me know. 

edit: to be clear, I do not have an optical drive. 

Edited by ChrisPbass

I believe it's a bad memory stick...

I've been messing w/Fedora.  Basically opening all kinds of programs and just bashing on the thing to try and break it.  Crashed w/1 stick.  Switched sticks and it ran fine.  Switched back to stick #1 and .... froze very quickly.  Trying the good stick in a different memory slot and it seems to be working just fine. 

Nice work. Bad RAM is a nasty thing, and can be somewhat difficult to track down; glad timekills & pcdoc could steer you in the right direction. RMA that sucker, although I would probably run memtest86 on it first, so I could prove to the company that it's faulty.  :)

BTW, it's not all that common to have faulty components on a new build, but it does happen, and I suspect we've all had at least 1 instance. It's just unfortunate for you it happened on your 1st build... don't get discouraged... as you see, there is plenty of help available.

• Like 1
Drashna Jaelre

Well, I know some of us run SpinRite on all of our new drives.... I personally run memtest on new RAM, for the same reason. 5+ passes, overnight. It isn't a bad idea as you never know... and memory issues are can definitely be all sorts of weird.