RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

1st Build - multiple problems

Hi all.  New to the forum.

Just built my 1st server which is my 1st build as well.

I don't know if there are any hardware problems but one thing I noticed prior to setting everything up was the the board asked for 450/500 watts and the PSU that came w/the case was 400 watts.  I gambled and did it anyway because it seemed like I wouldn't be stressing the PSU. 

I installed everything via USB for ease of operation and because I'd never done a USB install. 

Lots of bumps in the road but I got most of them figured out via various forums. 

I have one of the HDDs installed at this point. 

I have multiple problems, but the one that seems to be the most pressing atm is that the PC itself will slow down so much that the cursor is blinking all over the screen and it's almost impossible to click anything.  (Yes I have a KB/Mouse hooked up).

Another instance just popped up as I was typing.  I was coping the driver CD from USB to the servers desktop to try and get USB 3 working and it was copying at 10mb/s.  Seemingly slow...it was grinding along w/1 gig left and then *blink* it's all copied incredibly fast.

So, as a fairly new to this type of thing..are there any general areas to look to see what's going on?  There is almost nothing on this pc.  OS and that's it but everything seems to tax it. 

power issue???

EDIT: not sure what happened but the file was still copying, somehow it was minimized.  Bizarre because this is being typed on another PC.  It was transferring @ 45mb/s now it's at 25 mb/s. 

Opening peformance monitor made the cursor start crawling again.

Edited by ChrisPbass
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ChrisPbass

• ikon

• jmwills

• FiLiNuX

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nice work. Bad RAM is a nasty thing, and can be somewhat difficult to track down; glad timekills & pcdoc could steer you in the right direction. RMA that sucker, although I would probably run memt

Hi Chris & Welcome to HSS forums.  

It goes without saying that you do NOT want to push a power supply beyond its limits but I do not think that is the cause of the issue here.  With the CPU listed and the absence of a discrete video card and multiple drives I think it will be fine.  Many on here know a lot more about Windows Home Server then I but there are a few basic things you can look at.  

1.You stated that opening performance monitor made the cursor start crawling again but were  you able to get it open so you could possibly see what the status of the system is?  What is running & what resources are being used?

2. Is the cursor LITERALLY blinking all over the screen or is it just tracking incredibly slow when you move the mouse?

3. Have you tried to boot into safe mode and see whats happening there?

4. Have you been able to load the core drivers for the machine? (chipset & video)

5. If  you are wanting to see if this is a hardware issue or a issue with your install of WHS you could grab a live Linux CD (or USB image) and boot off it and see how the machine handles. (this is VERY simple, download any live image, boot the machine from it, check some stats & possibly run a few tests, when you reboot your machine will be completely unchanged.)  

6. Could the "bumps in the road" during install led to issues that are causing these performances issues?

Hopefully things will be able to be sorted fairly easily so you can start enjoying your new machine!!

Edited by FiLiNuX

Hi all.  New to the forum.

Just built my 1st server which is my 1st build as well.

I don't know if there are any hardware problems but one thing I noticed prior to setting everything up was the the board asked for 450/500 watts and the PSU that came w/the case was 400 watts.  I gambled and did it anyway because it seemed like I wouldn't be stressing the PSU. 

I installed everything via USB for ease of operation and because I'd never done a USB install. 

Lots of bumps in the road but I got most of them figured out via various forums. 

I have one of the HDDs installed at this point. 

I have multiple problems, but the one that seems to be the most pressing atm is that the PC itself will slow down so much that the cursor is blinking all over the screen and it's almost impossible to click anything.  (Yes I have a KB/Mouse hooked up).

Another instance just popped up as I was typing.  I was coping the driver CD from USB to the servers desktop to try and get USB 3 working and it was copying at 10mb/s.  Seemingly slow...it was grinding along w/1 gig left and then *blink* it's all copied incredibly fast.

So, as a fairly new to this type of thing..are there any general areas to look to see what's going on?  There is almost nothing on this pc.  OS and that's it but everything seems to tax it. 

power issue???

EDIT: not sure what happened but the file was still copying, somehow it was minimized.  Bizarre because this is being typed on another PC.  It was transferring @ 45mb/s now it's at 25 mb/s. 

Opening peformance monitor made the cursor start crawling again.

I probably have more questions than answers right now so here it goes.  First, have you gone into the bios and checked your CPU temps?  If not, that is the first place to start as what you are describing is related to one of several problems (heat, power, or defective hardware).  Secondly, the power supply specked into this case is pretty bad.  It has two separate 12V rails and both are fairly low in the current area.  Though it might be OK and not the root cause of your issues, I would not leave this in the computer and would plan on getting a good supply.  That is simply the wrong place to cut corners.  The other thing I would do is try running the system with only one memory stick at a time.  Try running it with each one to rule out any memory issues.  Feedback the results and we can go to the next round.

Thank you both for replying.  I've been too busy to jump into this thing at this point so I can't answer all questions, but I will.

For now, CPU temp is 33.0C

Even in bios the cursor is slow moving.

I hear you on the power supply.  It was built into the case so I figured ease of operation rather than cutting corners.

Do I have to get a microATX PSU for this case?  It *is* a micro mid tower but newegg only has 7 that are microATX.  Seems kind of odd. 

I do have the video drivers install but I'm not too sure about the chipset drivers.  The 7 64 drivers are on g~byte.com and I do plan on trying them.

Right now I think d.manager just says apci computer 64 (something like that.  I'm in bios now)

Edited by ChrisPbass

OK, 

If the UEFI (BIOS) is REALLY moving slowly something is VERY wrong.  TO be honest I can not think of many times I have EVER seen a UEFI (BIOS) move slowly.  ChrisPBass you mentioned this is your 1st build, and PLEASE do not take this wrong but have you worked in another UEFI/BIOS  before that is similar to the one on your machine to know what is slow/normal?  If the UEFI/BIOS is running slow I do not think flashing  is going to help.  Have you changed ANY OF THE  SETTINGS?

The temp (33.0 C ) is just fine for the A6- 3500 with stock cooler so heat isn't the issue at the moment.  

I agree power supplies are NOT where you want to cut corners but this is a pretty low power setup as described and many are running them on 350 watt supplies.  

Troubleshooting a PC in a forum like this can be very difficult.  If possible, unplug any non critical equipment from the machine, start it up, let the OS load AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO LOAD UP, go into performance monitor and see whats happening.  

OK, 

If the UEFI (BIOS) is REALLY moving slowly something is VERY wrong.  TO be honest I can not think of many times I have EVER seen a UEFI (BIOS) move slowly.  ChrisPBass you mentioned this is your 1st build, and PLEASE do not take this wrong but have you worked in another UEFI/BIOS  before that is similar to the one on your machine to know what is slow/normal?  If the UEFI/BIOS is running slow I do not think flashing  is going to help.  Have you changed ANY OF THE  SETTINGS?

The temp (33.0 C ) is just fine for the A6- 3500 with stock cooler so heat isn't the issue at the moment.  

I agree power supplies are NOT where you want to cut corners but this is a pretty low power setup as described and many are running them on 350 watt supplies.  

Troubleshooting a PC in a forum like this can be very difficult.  If possible, unplug any non critical equipment from the machine, start it up, let the OS load AND SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES TO LOAD UP, go into performance monitor and see whats happening.  

Not offended.   Haven't changed a thing in the bios.

If I use the arrow keys it is super fast it's just the mouse/cursor that is moving slowly.

The only things plugged in are the keyboard via ps/2, the mouse via wireless usb 2 and a 2 3tb seagate drives (though only one is connected to the MB)

Totally appreciate y'alls help because I really don't know what to do .  I"ll get in performance manager and see what's going on.  I've always used process explorer but i'll check out PM.

USB interrupt bytes/sec

USB PCI controller PCI Interrupt

are both freaking out.  0 to 100 spikes. 

all I looked at is USB and CPU.  I looked at USB because I have a feeling that something is messed up with it.

Ehh/// maybe that is normal.  I've never used PM before.  What should I add to track?

Edited by ChrisPbass

This may be as simple as the MOBO shorting out against the case, and yes, I've done it.  Take it all apart and put it back together to rule this out.