RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 client skip domain connector install - fails Win 7

I don't think they would have ever imagined (coming from a security standpoint) that anyone would want to join a client from a foreign domain to a server offsite for the purposes of data backup.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

I don't think they would have ever imagined (coming from a security standpoint) that anyone would want to join a client from a foreign domain to a server offsite for the purposes of data backup.

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool.

Next steps - I've been given a series of commands to run during the connector install and to return logs to their development team.  Even if it hits a wall, I'm grateful for their willingness - right?

• Like 1

Oddly enough, I just tried this again with R2. Connector installed and client PC membership to original domain was maintained and supports backing up client to R2 server. Success! Looks like I'm moving to R2 this weekend and trading VMWare Workststion 10 for Hyper-V. Relieved.

• Like 1

Am curious also. I'm certain the steps I've followed were consistent but failed time and time again. Regardless, it's suddenly working now even if it's a security risk or unsupported feature.