RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 client skip domain connector install - fails Win 7

I think they will consider it for about as long as it took me to type this.  Not trying to be argumentative but they expect you to use the product as it was designed and if you want to play outside those boundaries then you go it alone.

I think any business owner who allows their employees to backup data from their system to and offsite server is not looking at security or data protection.  I want even go into issues if this was related to medical.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

Understand and don't disagree. Figured it never hurts to ask. At a min, fwd onto a senior contact I made back in October on their Server team (spec for Essentials) to see if perhaps the Dev may offer up some trick. Again, if not, no harm no foul. I'll stick with WSE12R1 with VMWare as installed.

Drashna Jaelre

I think they will consider it for about as long as it took me to type this.  Not trying to be argumentative but they expect you to use the product as it was designed and if you want to play outside those boundaries then you go it alone.

I think any business owner who allows their employees to backup data from their system to and offsite server is not looking at security or data protection.  I want even go into issues if this was related to medical.

Maybe, but if you don't try then it DEFINITELY won't change.

And who knows, maybe Microsoft will change it.

I look at it like lotteries -- if you buy a ticket you have an infinitesimal chance of winning; if you don't buy a ticket you have zero chance.

Drashna Jaelre

My experience comes from what Microsoft did to Windows Home Server, Small Business Server, etc.

Same here.

And you know that annoying issue on v1 where it would reapply the permission inheritance on a shared folder? Yeah, that one? I'm SOOOO sorry!

Interestingly enough MS developers have contacted me for additional info on this. Will see how it goes and echo back.

So far, they're insisting it should work and that it did work in their lab. Only I'm convinced they aren't joining a client from a different domain to their R2 server but just keeping their client in a workgroup and skipping the domain join step. My situation is different.