• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

Drashna Jaelre

That makes the fact that you could do it with v1 even more surprising.

Yeah. Was likely an oversight on Microsoft's part that got fixed in R2. Sadly. :(

Not much action on this topic on Microsoft Connect Forums. Susan Bradley missed the point so surely they did also.

Should I decide to install WSE12R2, am considering using Acronis TI 2014 to backup these domain laptops to a share on the server.

Drashna Jaelre

Some how I doubt that Susan missed the point. But there comes a point when you pick the battles that you know you can actually win.

What I mean, is that IIRC, Susan is the one responsible for the "skip domain join" option in the first place. I believe she is the one that crusaded that back in SBS2011E.

Oh wow. Cool. Didn't realize. Regardless there should be an option to install connector for backup only, join domain+backup, join domain only, etc during connector setup. Flexibility. Instead of these registry hacks.

Oh wow. Cool. Didn't realize. Regardless there should be an option to install connector for backup only, join domain+backup, join domain only, etc during connector setup. Flexibility. Instead of these registry hacks.

That has been Paul Braren's (tinkertry.com) position as well. While we're glad they've added the hack to bypass domain join, how difficult would it be to just enable a radio button for join domain/don't join domain when running the connector software.

Most of us are resigned to The theory that Microsoft doesn't really intend for this to be a Home Server replacement as they'd rather we home users pay to use cloud services.

Drashna Jaelre

That has been Paul Braren's (tinkertry.com) position as well. While we're glad they've added the hack to bypass domain join, how difficult would it be to just enable a radio button for join domain/don't join domain when running the connector software.

Most of us are resigned to The theory that Microsoft doesn't really intend for this to be a Home Server replacement as they'd rather we home users pay to use cloud services.

Pretty much. Or on technical lingo "This is not a support scenario".... :(

But it would be very nice.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established contact w a Sr Engineer on the Essentials team from a past professional support case to whom I'm also going to fwd this request in case he has any influence or contact. More to follow.

• Like 1

Do you really expect Microsoft to rewrite the code to allow a domain member from Domain A to join "attach" to Domain B just for backup purposes?  Let me know how that works out.