RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 client skip domain connector install - fails Win 7

I just went around the block with a similar issue when I converted.  If you had a connector installed and it was part of the domain you have to remove it, go to the registry and search for "windows server" and delete all the entries.   Once you have finished, install the connector using the registry patch first, and domain skip patch and all will be well with the world.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

OK. My situation is a bit unique in that I'm trying to retain my current corporate domain membership AND install the R2 client connector. The R2 connector doesn't appear to allow this. Whereas the R1 connector does. Am not suspecting there's a registry hack in my case so I'm sticking w R1 until I ever need to reimage my server.

OK. My situation is a bit unique in that I'm trying to retain my current corporate domain membership AND install the R2 client connector. The R2 connector doesn't appear to allow this. Whereas the R1 connector does. Am not suspecting there's a registry hack in my case so I'm sticking w R1 until I ever need to reimage my server.

I see you mentioned to Paul (http://www.tinkertry.com/r2connect) the same issue. A few of us are frustrated by this, as it does not allow for a work PC to be backed up while making any fixes. I'm not too optimistic about MS fixing this, as I believe it is fully intended and the fact you could bypass it in R1 was probably a mistake/oversight by MS. 2012 Essentials is not a "home" server (ala WHS v1/WHS 2011) so the expectation is to only back up systems already on the work domain. The fact they are even entertaining the domain and DNS bypass is nice, but surprising, and likely just becuase they can see where some work environments may not want to admin a domain. I sincerely doubt it was to cater to the home user.

Agreed it was likely an oversight by MS the first time around. That said, I'm eager to move to R2 if for no other reason than the latest OS but more so for the Hyper-V role. I'm currently running VMWare WS 10 on WSE12R1 and it's just not the same.

In lieu of the ease of WSE12R2's bare metal client backup of a work PC, what would be the next best thing? Would like something convenient. Don't recall Acronis TI Home being as efficient and painless.

Thanks!

Would a transmog from WSE12 to WS12 not keep all of the features of Essentials but also give me Hyper-V role?

Would a transmog from WSE12 to WS12 not keep all of the features of Essentials but also give me Hyper-V role?

Not likey as Server 2012 is not a DC by default.

TinkerTry (Paul Braren) talks about the skipdomainjoin on R2 on both BYOB138 and HSS249 last week.

The problem, in this case, is that a computer that is already joined to a domain can't use the skip domain join hack in 2012 R2 essentials. You could in the 2012 Essentials v1.

So the OP has a laptop that is part of another domain; can't join it to 2012 R2 Essextials without leaving the previous domain. Then you can skip the domain joining, if desired.