RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 client skip domain connector install - fails Win 7

Jmwillis, I didn't reinstall WSE12. Hoped R2 would be an improved WSE12 or at least it should be. Although R2's Hyper-V was intended for other purposes, this is only a home environment so I was going to use Hyper-V on R2 for testing.

Oh I understand what you are trying to do but i think I would have reinstalled WSE2012 first before moving on to R2.  2012 was/is rock solid IMO and I have just now installed R2 in a VM and I really don't see much difference over 2012.

Just from the surface I can see the potential for disaster with one domain member is "exposed" to another domain.  Are you doing this to get restores or data backup?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

Oh I understand what you are trying to do but i think I would have reinstalled WSE2012 first before moving on to R2.  2012 was/is rock solid IMO and I have just now installed R2 in a VM and I really don't see much difference over 2012.

Just from the surface I can see the potential for disaster with one domain member is "exposed" to another domain.  Are you doing this to get restores or data backup?

jmwillis, now that you've mentioned it, I'm having second thoughts about R2.  While I like having the option of the Hyper-V role, it just seems a bit flaky.  And now that I've done about 5 R2 trial/error reinstalls over the past weekend, I've got it down to the point where I could probably have WSE12 (non R2) installed clean and reconfigured within a few hours.  Somehow I was hoping R2 would be a "better", newer, more refined R1 but so far it simply isn't.  Am somewhat disappointed.

I did deploy in a virtual environment and successfully configured the client to ignore joining the domain.  I am not sure what method you used, but this is the Registry Entry I made and all went smooth.

To skip joining the domain during a client deployment
On your client computer, go to Start and search for command prompt "cmd".
In the search results, find cmd.exe and run as administrator.

Type the following command prompt: 
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Complete the steps on the Connect Computers to the Server Help topic.  

In my case, the server is virtual but the client is physical.  backing up over a VPN as I type this thread.

thanks jmwillis.  I believe this is exactly what I tried both via wi-fi and ethernet, but failed.  possibly because the client was already a domain member (this actually works on R1).  You mentioned backing up over VPN...

when you right-click on the connector icon in sys tray, it has an option to 'stay connected remotely' or something to that effect.  does this initiate and maintain a VPN connection between the remote client and server?  It seems to be selected by default.

My Connector Button in the Tra only has three options:

Open Launchpad

Open Dashboard

Exit

The VPN is maintained by a separate function (network connection).  My client was and still is a Workgroup member and your theory may be correct as M$ may be locking down security on this feature.

My Connector Button in the Tra only has three options:

Open Launchpad

Open Dashboard

Exit

The VPN is maintained by a separate function (network connection).  My client was and still is a Workgroup member and your theory may be correct as M$ may be locking down security on this feature.

This is what appears when I right click the R2 launchpad icon on a LAN client joined to the domain.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/gallery/image/425-2013-09-25-125844/

Unlike WSE12 where this registry entry allows a PC already joined to an existing domain to install the connector (for backing up the PC to WSE12 server), this same registry key does not work in R2.  I suspect the PC must first be removed from the domain before installing.  Although certainly a security concern MS is trying to address, that WSE12 workaround proved valuable in my home env.  Back to WSE12 I go.

• 4 months later...

I did deploy in a virtual environment and successfully configured the client to ignore joining the domain.  I am not sure what method you used, but this is the Registry Entry I made and all went smooth.

To skip joining the domain during a client deployment
On your client computer, go to Start and search for command prompt "cmd".
In the search results, find cmd.exe and run as administrator.

Type the following command prompt: 
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Server\ClientDeployment" /v SkipDomainJoin /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Complete the steps on the Connect Computers to the Server Help topic.  

In my case, the server is virtual but the client is physical.  backing up over a VPN as I type this thread.

This regsitry key skips the domain join.  Might you know of one that will prompt the WSE12 R2 connector install the skip the domain CHECK?  In other words, disregard whether the client is already a member of another domain?  That is a different scenario.