RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

R2 client skip domain connector install - fails Win 7

Have uninstalled WSE2012 connector from Win 7 laptop that was previously backing up to server using the skip domain join.

Now trying to install the WSE2012 R2 RTM connector to the same Win 7 laptop without joining domain (registry key).  It successfully downloads the connector and tried to begin installing it, but it always returns:

Installation did not succeed

Windows Server Essentials Connector has not been installed because:

Package installation did not succeed

Try to install the Windows Server Essentials Connector again.  If the issue persists, contact your network administrator.

Has anyone identified a work around for this?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• jmwills

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

This was just marked as ANSWERED in Technet forum by MS. I responded disagreeing and asking the these options be considered in future R2 update for the connector installer. I've also established conta

jmwillis, while I don't disagree MS Senior Engineer has already been back in contact w/ me.  Even offered to assist me despite having already used up my support case.  Pretty cool. Next steps - I've

With WSE2012 I was able to install the connector on a machine that was already part of an existing domain yet backup that PC to the server.  It appears that, even with the skip domain join registry hack used w/ WSE2012, the WSE2012R2 connector cannot be installed on the same PC now.

Hopefully a more refined skip domain join hack will surface once R2 has been out longer.

Why not just join the domain and be done with it?  I for one do not see  the need for all of these hack-arounds that eventually lead to problems on top of problems.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

In this case, it's a work laptop already a corporate domain member that was being actively backed up to WSE2012 prior to installing R2.

So it's your responsibility to backup your work documents?  If 2012 was working, why change?

I do Enterprise SharePoint work and have already been advised that Exchange and SharePoint are not supported on R2 until SP1 is released.  

It's not my responsibility but rather my preference. As for the decision to update, I had a buggy copy of WSE12 on my server that even MS couldn't fix after over a month of daily analysis. I was going to reinstall WSE12 but wanted the benefit of Hyper-V so I figured I'd go with the more current OS.

Did you try a reinstall of 2012?  The Hyper-V role for R2 is intended for domain transfer/backups of the server as I understand it, not as the conventional 2012 role.

Jmwillis, I didn't reinstall WSE12. Hoped R2 would be an improved WSE12 or at least it should be. Although R2's Hyper-V was intended for other purposes, this is only a home environment so I was going to use Hyper-V on R2 for testing.