RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
danner

How to restore a mirrored disc

danner

Hi all!

I am new to WHS, and I am making a backup plan.

My simple question is:

If I use the OS mirror built in function. Is it just to replace a disc in case of a disc failure? Will the OS handle this?

Cheers Daniel

jmwills

Yes, the OS (or any mirror) will rebuild itself if one of the two drives in the mirror fails.  Just remove the failed drive and replace it with another or similar size and speed.

danner

Thanks.

Will it be possible to put one of the discs in another computer (os usb drive) and read the content? In case of server or os failure I need to have short time to access to the server data.

I had a backup software that performed a mirror (NTFS) during the night. But that software fails somtimes and seems not reliable, thats why I am looking at the OS mirror function. But actually I want two "readably" discs. Does not RAID use a special file system?

And, if the server os fails and I need to replace the WHS installation or  hardware, can a new WHS installation and hardware recover the mirrored discs.?

jmwills

Yes, you should be able to attach one of those mirrored drive via a docking station and read the contents as long as we are talking Windows to Windows.

Something you need to realize, is as it stands now, you have no backup of your data.  RAID is not a backup but a form of redundancy.  In case of a total failure, you could rebuild the server and transfer the backup to the newly created RAID Array.  RAID uses the file system of the OS but you will not be able to transfer the array if the array is built within the OS and not an add on card.

Joe_Miner

Hi all!

I am new to WHS, and I am making a backup plan.

My simple question is:

If I use the OS mirror built in function. Is it just to replace a disc in case of a disc failure? Will the OS handle this?

Cheers Daniel

Hi Daniel & welcome to the Forums!  when you get a chance introduce yourself http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/344-welcome-to-homeservershowcom-forums-introduce-yourself-here/

To answer your question: Yes.  If you build a mirror array (RAID1) in a Windows OS with Disk Management when a disk in the mirror array fails you can replace it.  You can also take a disk from a mirror created with Disk Management and put it in any other Windows Machine and read the data off of it.  While Mirrors do improve the resiliency of your system (a lot, IMHO) they're not really a backup system that will truly protect your data thru any disaster.  For that you'll want to add a 3-2-1 system

You should  read this article about Mirrors http://buildegg.com/bewp/?p=44

Here's a video on importing Mirrored arrays from one windows machine to another and a little on resiliency of mirrors 

And here's some useful background info on 3-2-1 backup systems http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4551-how-do-you-back-up-your-hp-microserver/page-3?#entry49671

While this article is targeted to MicroServer Users it has a lot of information that you may find useful http://homeservershow.com/new-microserver-where-to-start.html

Also, when you come to the forums for a quick short cut to see what topics people are commenting on recently just click the "view new content" button in the upper right of the web page (circled below in red) 

gallery_1229_39_16841.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

danner

Thanks for all information.

I am actually migrating from an old Netgear NAS to a home made WHS server. I wan't to keep things really simple: No strange filesystems that will be hard to read without special hardware. Only "on the shelf" components in my server.

I was not understanding that this mirror function is the same as W7, thats why I didn't find so much information.

The main backup is a set of USB discs that I keep off site. These hold incremental backups for all my data. I have been using backup4all software for many years, and I am using that instead of the OS backup.

danner

One more thing... Will WHS report in case of a disc failure?

danner

You can also take a disk from a mirror created with Disk Management and put it in any other Windows Machine and read the data off of it. 

When I put the mirrored disc in a second Windows machine I see it with Disk Manager. What steps do I have to perform to actually see my files in explorer?

jmwills

Assign a Drive Letter and that should be all.

ikon

There is a possibility that Windows may want you to import the disk in order to read it but, hopefully, assigning a drive letter will be all you need.