RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
psikey

G8 and 4TB drives.

psikey

This question has been asked on a few forums I use:

"Can the G8 use/see 4TB drives"

The spec. only states up to 3TB drives but I personally couldn't see any reason it wouldn't except possibly in the B120i RAID mode.

So I tested out 4TB drives today in both AHCI and RAID mode with a clean Windows 8 test install.

And the answer is ............................  Yes, no problem.

Did the test with two drives, a HP 250 GB3.5" drive for the OS and the 4TB as a data store.

BIOS showed both drive model numbers when booting and in RAID config. in B120i RAID mode both drives were shown at correct size and used the Wizard to set the 250GB RAID0 as boot drive and the 4TB as RAID0 storage.

I then reset to AHCI and again no problems at all and Windows 8 would let me install to the 250GB or 4TB drive. Chose 250 for install and 4TB for storage as before and all working perfectly (apart from fast fan speed again)

Repeated test with another Brand and all OK so works fine with 4TB Seagate 5,900RPM ST4000DM drive and the WD 4TB RED.

With these two drives it consumed 39w idling and in AHCI with drive spin down of the 4TB it used 34w.

By comparison, the N54L in AHCI with an SSD for the OS and a pair of 4TB WD RED drives in spin-down only consumes 22w.

** Power figures are with uprated E3-1265LV2 CPU and 16GB RAM

Edited by psikey
  • Like 2

direktorn

Did the same test when the 3GB drives came out and that worked well to :)

psikey

Did the same test when the 3GB drives came out and that worked well to

:o  Those were really tiny drives !! :)

jmwills

:o  Those were really tiny drives !! :)

You show your age when you say something like that...there are a few of us around here who remember 1 GB spinning drives, and SMALLER

psikey

You show your age when you say something like that...there are a few of us around here who remember 1 GB spinning drives, and SMALLER

I'm 46 so yes, I do remember :(

jmwills

I'm 46 so yes, I do remember :(

Still a pup....:)

FiLiNuX

I don't remember ever seeing or having any 3 GB drives.  Other capacities below and above  but for some reason 3 GB doesn't ring any bells.  

He did mean 3TB though correct?

brentpresley

4TB work fine.

I'm running 4 x 4TB Hitachi's without a problem.

psikey

I don't remember ever seeing or having any 3 GB drives.  Other capacities below and above  but for some reason 3 GB doesn't ring any bells.  

He did mean 3TB though correct?

I'm sure he did :)

So conclusive as we have now test Seagate, WD & Hitachi drives.

Edited by psikey

direktorn

:) For some reason I have not yet made myself comfortable typing TB.. My First HD where 40Mbyte and I still remember it as yesterday..