RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Former WHS (v1) user seeking answers

MvL

Hi,

I'm new on this forum and hoping that i'll posted this in the right sub-forum.

As a form user of WHS i've registered here today. I tried different sollution the past years like WHS, synology, Apple, Linux server (still running). Also on the client side. This summer holiday i build a new desktop system running Windows 8. I'm not a big fan of touch features in Windows 8 but i love the destop mode. I've not used Windows for awhile but my first feeling when start using it again was a sort of coming home feeling. I'm now exploring the possibility to use Windows on my server again. A question arise why on earth Microsoft killed the WHS project. They could do lot's of cool stuff with it. Another question i'm wondering how many users jumped from WHS to Essentials. Are you satisfied with Essentials. Is Essentials for the home user. 

Yes, WHS.is a great product. Microsoft wants us to move to the cloud so that they can charge us a never ending fee to hold our data.

Stick with WHS2011. At $40 it's cheap and solid. Essentials 2012 has been updated with R2 and Microsoft pulled the media stuff out. This is a new product and still has many growing pains. It's not finished. At $500 I would stay away.

Thanks for replying!

of course Essentials is more for small business than for the home user.

WHS 2011 is already two years old. Can we ever expect a new version? Can we convince Microsoft to support WHS again? There is a market for this. See all NAS devices that are sold. 

Once you attach the word "server" to it, people start freaking out.  Essentials is the new kid and live with 2011 as long as you can.

WHS 2011 is still being sold! :)

And mainstream support remains till April 2016. That means that it will still get updates until that date. And afterwards, only critical security updates.

That is unless MSFT is nice enough to give it a service pack (not likely though).

And yes, once you say "server" people get scared. But seriously, WHS is awesome. To the point that it's been adopted by the server lines. The "Essentials experience" role in 2012R2 is the WHS2011 code. :)

Hi Drashna, I'll remember you from the we got served forums when it was a really busy forum.

And yes, once you say "server" people get scared. But seriously, WHS is awesome. To the point that it's been adopted by the server lines. The "Essentials experience" role in 2012R2 is the WHS2011 code. :)

Didn't know that the Essentials experience role existed. Maybe i have to look to the server standard version of Windows server. Also i have to test this in a virtual machine. Thanks!

WGS is still on the busy side, but yes, all of the WHS sites have slowed down. Sadly. 

And I blame Microsoft for that.... but that's neither here nor there.....

As for the Essentials role, I'd recommend Server 2012 Essentials. R2 seems to have a lot of bugs still. It may be more stable.