RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Convert from esxi 5.1 to Hyper - v (2012 R2)?

Ncage1974

I'm going to be converting my esxi server to hyper-v. My question is what is the best way to bring my VMs over to hyper-v from esxi? I've looked at the "microsoft virtual machine converter" but it seems to be built 4 migrating when you have both an esxi and hyper-v server running at the same time I will be taking my esxi out of commission because it will be my new hyper-v server. What would be your suggestion to convert the VMs? Just take a backup in each vm and just creating fresh VMs in hyper-v and do a restore? I think system center has some type of converter but i'm not running that. My esxi server is running Server 2012, Windows 8, Windows 7, & Linux (i'm not to worried if my linux vm wont' come over though). FYI; One of the VMs is running an active directory server. I don't know if that will make it problematic or not.

Yep its exactly what i was looking at. If you look at step 16 it seems when your doing the conversion you need a active hyper-v server as well as an active esxi server running which i will not have.

Yep its exactly what i was looking at. If you look at step 16 it seems when your doing the conversion you need a active hyper-v server as well as an active esxi server running which i will not have.

Don't despair.  There is a command-line version of the the tool that works just one the virtual machine files.  It worked for me.   I seem to remember that it was a little hard to find the details (and I can't find them back now), but it is possible.

When I have a chance to look more, I will try to find it and post something back here.

There are a bunch of software that allows you to convert HD formats, between VMware, hyper-v, XEN, KVM. I use StarWind (They have a real nice suite of tools)

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

I hope you have a fast server, running Hyper-V (even core) takes a lot of resources and you need System Center (Expensive) to get the same functionality as V-Sphere.

You sneaky, clever little man :D

Why, thank you. 

I mean, why do more work than you absolutely have to. And all of the tools are there, and "free". And I know a lot of the converter utils can be expensive.

And while I know this isn't a guaranteed method, it's one that we all have access to already. ;)

There are a bunch of software that allows you to convert HD formats, between VMware, hyper-v, XEN, KVM. I use StarWind (They have a real nice suite of tools)

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

I hope you have a fast server, running Hyper-V (even core) takes a lot of resources and you need System Center (Expensive) to get the same functionality as V-Sphere.

I'm not really familiar with V-Sphere, but I've used HyperV Manager extensively, and that does give you pretty much complete control over the VMs. And if you're running in a domain environment (such as transitioned Essentials to Standard, or a separate HyperV box joined to Essentials), access is dead simple. What would System Center get you over HyperV Manager that you would really need to manage HyperV?

Clones, creating images from base-images, creating DR sites, integrated analytics (performance based decisions like move VM if heavy load) - All sorts of features I realized where not in Hyper-V manager. This has improved with the 2012 R2 release but not so much.