RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Update Error 80244FFF

Lenbo

Greetings,

I've had a WS2012E installation on an HP N40L running well since July.  A couple of weeks ago, I started getting Windows Update errors with the code 80244FFF.  I searched around, stopped the WU and BITS services, re-registered a bunch of .dlls, rolled back a batch of recent updates from mid-August but nothing's working.

Has anyone encountered / overcome an error like this?  Thanks in advance.

wu-erroro80244FFF.PNG

I have seen this error and fixed it but for the life of me cannot remember how.  Try disabling the NIC, rebooting, and then re-enabling it.

chkdsk, sfc /scannow, disk cleanup.

If that doesn't help, manually delete the update temp files.

If that doesn't help, call Microsoft, because that's about your only option.

Or just ignore it.

And I wish I were kidding. There has been a SERIOUS QA issue with updates lately. I don't know what's going on, but I'm not the only one that's noticed.

Also, you guys have subscribed to SBSDiva's (Susan Bradley's) blog, right? Right?

http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2013/09/11/dear-mr-ballmer-my-email-today.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I've figured this out - or at least narrowed it down.  After watching my server deteriorate - the above Windows Update error, no Anywhere Access, Powershell errors, backup failures, complete freezes - I reinstalled the OS.  After a week of rebuilding everything and operating as expected, today I installed the September 2013 rolloup - which has been showing as an optional update:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2876415

I'd installed this previously and thought I'd uninstalled it.  After installing it today, the Windows Update error returned.  Luckily, I was able to uninstall it and all is well, so far.  So - some cautionary advice - don't do it!  I'm still curious about what in the world is going on, but at least I have a better idea of the origin.

There has been some pretty atrocious quality control with Windows Update lately... and people wonder why there was a long period of time where it was recommended to turn it off........... And that time is apparently coming again.  But as for why specifically, your guess is as good as mine... I'd say submit it to Microsoft honestly. (https://connect.microsoft.com/SBS/)

One thing you can do is install WSUS. Gives you more control over the updates. Personally I have any and all Update roll-ups disabled. 

I would also add to the discussion, not to automatically install updates.  See what is available for your clients, and do some research to see if issues are being reported.

Unless it is a Zero Day, leave it alone for about a week.

Which is why WSUS is a good idea. because you can do that for your ENTIRE network. Not just one machine. :)