RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
gcm00

Issues installing ESXi on a HP N40L Microserver

gcm00

Hi,

I am trying to install ESXi on a HP N40L Microserver, I have created a small FAT16 4GB partition on the first internal disk and when I boot the ESXi media either by USB key or DVD I get the following error message after the second step (Enter Key, F11 Key).

Logs are stored on non-persistent storage. Consult product documentation to configure a syslog server or a scratch partition.

I have upgraded the host to 8GB of RAM and have reconnected all the cables back as they were including the MINSAS connector which I believe controls the internal storage.

I have checked that gparted program can see all the devices without any problem, I used this application to create the small partition on the first disk.

I have attached a screen shot of what I see during the first couple of steps of installing the product, it seems to me to have something to do with the internal storage as that would be the next step the instalation program would take, not sure if HP have a strange RAID controller or software that is getting the way of installing ESXi.

Any help on this issue will be most appreciated.

Thanks

ESXI-Error.png

venturis

I'm not sure why your getting that error but to be perfectly honest I would install the ESXi onto a USB stick connected to the internal USB port in preference to trying to install on the HDD.

My N40L is running ESXi 5.1 on a 2gb USB stick on the internal USB port and it works perfectly.  After the hypervisor loads, there is very little, if any, read/wrties to the USB stick.

The great thing about this approach is that it frees up the HDD's for data/virutual machines alone and gives you the flexibility to upgrade the Hypervisor without messing anything else up.

Try that out and see if it resolves the error message.

Edited by venturis

jmwills

More than likely it is an incompatible NIC causing the issue

• Like 1

venturis

More than likely it is an incompatible NIC causing the issue

I doubt it....the Microserver is well-known for being compatible with ESXi....

gcm00

Hi,

I have just got the onboard NIC card enabled, I have also tried booting the esxi media from the internal USB port but still have the same issues :-(

It just seems to be something to do with the internal disks, as the next stage is too install the software onto a either a HDD or USB key. I am not sure why it is not working I was just hoping to use this great little server to be my ESXi test bed at home.

Any more help will be most appreciated.

Thanks

venturis

You mis-understand....don't "boot" the install media from the internal USB port....actually "Install" the Hypervisor to a USB stick connected to the internal USB port.

gcm00

Hi,

Okay I see what you mean by booting the system and installing the product on a usb key but I still have the issue that when I do boot it from the DVD I get the same error message as previously discussed :-(

Thanks

venturis

Can you list out in much more detail your current configuration. (hardware / software / bios setting etc)

Where did you obtain the source ESXi install media? It might be worth downloading it again directly from VMware to ensure it's not corrupt.

venturis

I could be wrong but it appears from your screenshot that you are trying to install ESXi though a Virtual KVM session through the HP Remote Access card?

If you are trying to use Virtual Media to install the Hypervisor, I suggest you try doing the first stage installation at the hardware, not through the virtual KVM.

The reason you might be getting this error is because it recognises that the Virtual USB/Cdrom connection is exactly that, "Non-persistent".

Edited by venturis

FiLiNuX

You can install ESXi to the same USB you are installing from.  

If you are installing from a virtual KVM dont.  If you have tried it without a KVM and had no luck then when you used gparted to setup your partitions what parameters did you set for them?  Here is a link for the problem you are experiencing. 

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2032823