RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows Server 2012 Essentials (trial) -- overnight expire

nleistad

Yesterday, my WS 2012 Essentials installed on a HP Gen8 MS reported 171 days to live. Today, when I logged in, it said it was rebooting in 15 minutes, and the lower left corner reported "Windows License Expired" (FYI: Build 9200)

I assumed it was due to update that installed, so I rebooted hopeping License status might be updated or "corrected" by reboot, but License Status remains the same, expired.

I had plans of moving to R2 anyway, but was curious if anyone else noticed anything similar? Rather than attempt fix, upgrade?

I realize running trial will require 6 mo re-installs, and by end of 6 mo, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready to buy or see if TechNet has been resurrected.

My OS drives are a pair of old 80G in RAID1, Data a pair of 3T drives in same config, added after initial installation. Anyone have any experience on status/viability of data on "data drives" when added after re-install/upgrade to R2?  Completely lost?, needing "owner" change?

Much as I'd like to just learn w/ system at the git-go, it seems I always fall into "production use" mode. :-(

Hoping to repay some of my "please help me" posts w/ "I can help", but so far, visiting team is in the lead.

Thanks.

Is the date correctly set in the BIOS?  What was the expiration date of the trial......I thought that was hard coded into the OS

Huh!!! Currently remote w/o iLo setup. Unsure on BIOS date, check later. System date reports correctly. Attempting to re-activate via telephone and I can't get "country" dropdown and only get Afghanistan as an option. Thought jcollison said on a podcast that the trial lasted 6 mos from date of install and those were the kind of numbers I'd been looking at....

Maybe activation required EVEN WITH trial and 180 day limit....

Will attempt telephone route and see.

Thanks.