RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New pfSense available today! pfSense 2.1

FiLiNuX

"Most of their directions are for someone with DSL not broadband" & " 384 Kbps is next to nothing and is pretty much the worst case."

DSL is broadband.   384 Kbps is half of the 768Kbps a lot of people have for upstream traffic.  

"I just figured when your upstream is saturated with cloud backup and other connectivity that maxes out your broadband, it would affect call quality without something like pfsense traffic shaping to compensate."

I think you figured correctly!  QOS is very important in situations like this REGARDLESS of how much upstream you have.  Having QOS protocols in place ensure that the proper bandwidth is being provided for services when they need it over services that are not AS important at the time.  With the settings in place you are covered and if none of the settings are ever triggered by bandwidth shortages nothing is lost.  

Edited by FiLiNuX
  • Like 1

I noticed the update when i finally sat down and configured my "new" pfsense box. Great timing apparently.

Just wish the firebox used gigabit. :(

Thanks pcdoc. Good info. I just figured when your upstream is saturated with cloud backup and other connectivity that maxes out your broadband, it would affect call quality without something like pfsense traffic shaping to compensate. Oh well, another fun project...

As FiLiNuX pointed out, saturation is possible but it is possible with or without QOS.  You will have try it out in your particular situation to see if it has impact.  I just wanted to point out that in my opinion I would not use their QOS.  If you want to configure the QOS in your router based on your particular setup than you can always do that just do not try and hook in front of the router as their instructions suggest, as I found it to impact performance of your connection and add a bit of latency.  in the time I ran it, I never saw it waiver or hick up at all, even though I have two different backup services and other services running.   Though they talk about allocation of 130K for traffic, when I measured it it was much less than that.  Usually closer to 50-70kbps.. Just plug it in and set it up and if you need to tweak something, do it from the router.

• 3 weeks later...

For those who didnt upgrade yet,tried an update from 2.0.1 and it worked without an issue, only some packages needed to be installed again, but it kept all my settings.