RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New pfSense available today! pfSense 2.1

FiLiNuX

For all of the fine power users here taking advantage of the FreeBSD goodness infused pfSense version 2.1 is now available!!  I have posted part of the release announcement below.

Chris Buechler has announced the release of pfSense 2.1, a free, open-source and customised distribution of FreeBSD tailored for use as a firewall and router: "I'm proud to announce the release of pfSense 2.1, and our new Gold subscription. The 2.1 book and our AutoConfigBackup service, available for years to support subscribers, are immediately available today to Gold subscribers. This release brings many new features, with the biggest change being IPv6 support in almost every portion of the system. There are also a number of bug fixes and touch-ups in general. Three FreeBSD security advisories are applicable to prior pfSense releases. These aren't remotely exploitable in and of themselves, but anyone who can execute arbitrary code on your firewall could use one or more of these to escalate privileges.

Links

http://files.nyi.pfsense.org/mirror/downloads/pfSense-LiveCD-2.1-RELEASE-amd64.iso.gz

http://ftp.inf.utfsm.cl/pub/pfsense/downloads/pfSense-LiveCD-2.1-RELEASE-i386.iso.gz

From your Home Server Show posting FOSS advocate :)

pfsense.png

Edited by FiLiNuX
  • Like 1

Good call. I did a clean install of 2.1-RELEASE yesterday from 2.1-RC1. Even signed up

For the gold support option to leverage the autoconfigbackup feature. Have found 2.1 to be noticeably more stable. Am implementing Ooma this week and hope to tune my traffic shaper to prioritize my VoIP upstream.

Any suggestions to minimize VoIP Jitter in pfsense?

I hope that the more people see the rock solid stability and performance of AMAZING products like pfSense, if they have not already,  will venture further into the world of FOSS and give something like FreeBSD a try for their server/computing needs.  While I am mostly a "learning" GNU-Linux user, FreeBSD is always on at least one of my machines and is top notch in  stability, documentation, & performance.    

Thanks B. Worm for the changes list link!

Edited by FiLiNuX

Good call. I did a clean install of 2.1-RELEASE yesterday from 2.1-RC1. Even signed up

For the gold support option to leverage the autoconfigbackup feature. Have found 2.1 to be noticeably more stable. Am implementing Ooma this week and hope to tune my traffic shaper to prioritize my VoIP upstream.

Any suggestions to minimize VoIP Jitter in pfsense?

Not sure why pfSense would be different but Ooma uses almost no bandwidth and you should not have any issues.  I did a bunch with Ooma late last year and found it to be very easy to setup and did not have to do any prioritizing at all.  Just plugged it in and away I went.

Did you put ooma before or after your router? Also did you leave the ooma internal QoS upstream set to the default of 384 Kbps or set it to 0 to disable? Thanks.

Did you put ooma before or after your router? Also did you leave the ooma internal QoS upstream set to the default of 384 Kbps or set it to 0 to disable? Thanks.

I plugged mine in directly into a free port behind the router.  Most of their directions are for someone with DSL not broadband so you do not need any other changes to your setup and it should work fine.  384 Kbps is next to nothing and is pretty much the worst case.

Thanks pcdoc. Good info. I just figured when your upstream is saturated with cloud backup and other connectivity that maxes out your broadband, it would affect call quality without something like pfsense traffic shaping to compensate. Oh well, another fun project...