• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• ikon

• msawyer91

• jem101

Am preparing for the leap to WSE12R2 but am a bit confused by the MS licensing and Technet info I've read.  Are we expecting to:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/10/02/virtualization-and-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials.aspx

1.) install the Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 OS

2.) setup DHCP and DNS on this host OS

3.) add the Hyper-V role to this host OS

3.) create a Hyper-V guest of Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2

4.) configure client backups and file shares within the GUEST OS?

I ask because I currently have WSE12 (R1) installed with both the DHCP and DNS roles.  It also performs my client PC backups.  I've added VMWare Workstation 10 to run Plex Media Server within a Win 7 VM, but would like the simplicity of using the Hyper-V role built into WSE12R2.

Mace, as the others have said, really, really, really don't have two machines with the same name - you'll be setting yourself up for a whole sack of hurt with that.

Jason, licensing and virtualisation rights for MS server products is a bit opaque (to say the least). You could do it the way you mention - although you have the DNS and DHCP roles on the wrong server and you would really have to purchase two copies of 2102 Essentials R2 for the licensing to be valid, not to mention that it would rapidly become a bit of a mess to manage. The easiest way to sort it out is to consider it like this.

You want a Server 2012 Essentials R2 server to run your home network - it'll be a domain controller and it expects to have all of the server roles on it, what it doesn't expect to see is another 2012E R2 box on the same network. So the simplest way would be to install it directly on the hardware with all the relevant roles, configure it to do the client backups etc. and that's it. You then have the option to add the Hyper-V server role to it, create a Windows 7 virtual machine on it and install Plex on this VM - note that if you add the Hyper-V role to 2012E R2 then the licensing is quite restrictive as to what virtual machines you are allowed to run on it.

If however you really wanted to have a virtualised version of 2012E R2 then what you would need to do is purchase a single copy of Server 2012 R2 (the full version, not Essentials). Install this on the hardware using the single license key, and add the Hyper-V server role (and only this role - this is the bit that makes the licensing valid). Now on this install a VM of Server 2012 R2 (and you can use the same key again) and on this virtual version, install the Essentials role. This VM becomes your 2012E R2 server and you need to configure it to have the DNS, DHCP, client backup and files share services. So far so good, you could then install another copy of Server 2012 R2 as a second virtual machine on the host again using the same key (this is perfectly valid) and on this install Plex. You could of course just install a virtual copy of Windows 7 instead but I think if you are running a server-type service (Plex) then it should really be on a server-type OS.

Good luck and a happy new year

John

Am preparing for the leap to WSE12R2 but am a bit confused by the MS licensing and Technet info I've read.  Are we expecting to:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/sbs/archive/2013/10/02/virtualization-and-windows-server-2012-r2-essentials.aspx

1.) install the Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 OS

2.) setup DHCP and DNS on this host OS

3.) add the Hyper-V role to this host OS

3.) create a Hyper-V guest of Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2

4.) configure client backups and file shares within the GUEST OS?

I ask because I currently have WSE12 (R1) installed with both the DHCP and DNS roles.  It also performs my client PC backups.  I've added VMWare Workstation 10 to run Plex Media Server within a Win 7 VM, but would like the simplicity of using the Hyper-V role built into WSE12R2.

This is mainly meant for OEMs, actually.

Also, in this configuration with HyperV, the ONLY, ONLY VM you are allowed (licenses) to run is Server 2012 R2 Essentials. And the reason it is set up this way is to make it much more portable in the case of hardware failure. So you're not stuck with a broken domain controller.

OK. So for home, just install R2 OS, add Hyper-V role and fire up VMs at will! :-). Unfortunately I've spun up a quick R2 VM in VMWare on my R1 box and have experienced a few issues with the skip domain join hack causing the connector install to fail on clients so I've tabled moving to R2 until I can identify a workaround.

Just let the client add to the domain. 

Once it's finished installing, just leave the domain (join a workgroup of the same netbios name, so if the domain is MYDOMAIN.local, join the "MYDOMAIN" workgroup).

That or just stay on the domain. 

in each case, the local accounts will remain on the system. And in the domain, you could use .\Username to log into the local account.

One client is on a corporate domain currently. Wasn't sure if I could leave corp domain, join workgroup, install connector joining home domain, leave home domain for workgroup the re-join corp domain?

One client is on a corporate domain currently. Wasn't sure if I could leave corp domain, join workgroup, install connector joining home domain, leave home domain for workgroup the re-join corp domain?

Oh I agree with Drashna - I think that'll be very problematic.

John