RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Grant B

EX490 on network that already has a EX495 on it.

Grant B

Greetings all,

I had a EX490 that went poof and stopped working. I believe I had traced it down to a kaput power supply. I have replaced the power supply and I believe it's ready to go.

Whilst I was repairing the EX490, I came upon a good deal for a EX495. I purchased it, moved the drives from the 490 over to it, did a server recovery and it's been working fine ever since.

Now that I have the new power supply in the old 490, I was wondering how reloading the server software on it and setting it up is done when you already have a mediasamart server on the same network. Where I don't necessarily want or need to have the 2 servers going on the same network, I want to get the OS reloaded and running on the old one without screwing up the EX495 setup I am currently using.

My first thought was to use my old laptop, uninstall the mediasmart software from it, disconnect it from my network, connect the old 490 directly to it and load the OS. After that, I'm not sure how it will affect the 495 if I connect it to same network to access the net and update it.

Is there an easier way? A better way? Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant

jmwills

The 49x series are headless so run the install software form your laptop and find the old server.  Wipe the drives and use it as a back destination for the running server.  You might want tor try WHS 2011 on that old box.

msawyer91

I believe an EX490 and EX495 both use the same recovery media, so you can hook a laptop directly to the EX490 via a crossover cable to get it rebuilt. I believe you'd need to uninstall the WHS v1 connector software from the laptop before proceeding with a server recovery.

As for whether or not you can have more than one MediaSmart Server on the same network, absolutely it's perfectly possible. I no longer run WHS v1 on a production basis. I have extra drives that have WHS v1 on them so I can run WHS v1 on demand, but for the most part, that particular server--an EX490--runs Windows Server 2012.

I also have an EX487, and that runs Server 2012 Essentials full time.

Because the MediaSmart Servers are headless, getting them upgraded to WHS 2011, Server 2012 Essentials or another version of Windows is very tricky unless you have a debug cable. There's a fellow over on MediaSmartServer.net who makes debug cables for the MediaSmart Servers. I have one each for my EX487 and EX490. Because I use the servers for debugging and testing, as well as home production use, having the debug cable--which provides KVM access--is a must.

Grant B

Jmwillis,

What exactly do you mean by wiping the drives and use it as a back destination for the running server? By that answer, I am assuming that you can have 2 servers running on the same network. I am assuming that it can be done with 2 server names, but how are you able to access each one's console seperately?

As for running WHS 2011 on the old server - great idea. However, first I'd like to load up a fresh copy of v1 onto it an make sure it's running properly before purchase WHS 2011 and try to hunt down an affordable 4GB ram stick - or sticks. Would it cause s conflict to have 2 v1 servers running in the same network?

msawyer91,

Yes, when I moved over to the EX495, I had to uninstall the connector software from the PC i was using to set it up. What I'm more concerned about is what I just asked jmwillis. IF it is possible to run 2 WHS v1 servers in the same network, how are you able to access each one's console seperately?

ikon

As I understand it, you can have multiple v1 servers on your network, but you cannot connect to both of them from a client PC -- each PC can only connect to one or the other (i.e. the Connector installed on a given PC can only connect to the server it was installed from). Now, that said, you can Remote Desktop to both of them from a client PC, and you can access shared folders on both servers.

Drashna Jaelre

Ikon is right about the connector stuff.

But the recovery software is completely different between the two. That, and the image is different. The lights and fans are controlled different ways, etc.

jmwills

Install the connector software from the old server to the new one and backup the new to the old.

Grant B

Thanks for chiming in everyone. So... by what you have said:

- I can have both servers running on the same network with no problems (obviously with different server names).

- The connector install can only run one copy of the console per machine. If I were to install the console for the "2nd or old" server, the PC which has that installed can only access the old server. As it goes, the console I have installed on my main pc right now will only access the current server I am running.

- I can RDP into the "2nd or old" server and also have access to the shares without installing the console.

Drashna - It was my understanding that the 490 and the 495 were identical with the exception of the processor and the larger HDD. When I moved my drives over the 495 when the 490 crapped out, I did a server restore and the system is running as expected. How exactly is the recovery and image different between the 490 and the 495?

jmwillis - "Install the connector software from the old server to the new one and backup the new to the old"... please explain.

Thanks again guys.

*** just thought of something else. Can I set up the "2nd or old" server from a computer that has the connector / console for the current one on it and not install the connector/console for the "2nd or old" server at all? Or do you recommend having at least one pc that has the connector/console for that server on it?

Edited by Grant B

jmwills

Let the old server be a client of the new one.

Grant B

Well, Thanks to all that offered insights to my question. Unfortunately, I plugged the server in after replacing the PSU and it would not turn on... not a peep. Looks like it was not the PSU after all. I am assuming the the motherboard is done, unless there is something is wrong with the PSU.

Is there any way that I can test the PSU at home to see if it is OK?