RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Has anyone been successful on installing WS 2012 Essentials R2 RTM on a new HP Gen 8 Server?

Rensul

I wasn't able to install the Preview version on Gen8 due to what I think were incompatibilities with the Gen8 drivers. 

Has anyone installed the RTM version successfully?

Thanks

Yes - although I cheated as it is running in a Hyper-V VM on Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.

Can confirm that Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard works great bare metal, but I performed an in-place upgrade of Windows Server 2012 Standard, so I am not able to tell you whether Intelligent Provisioning would work or not.

Although I would caution anyone looking at WS 2012 Essentials R2 if they particularly needed (or want) the Media Sharing features - both the DLNA server and the ability to transcode/deliver through the Remote Web Access feature, as this was removed from the RTM (confirmed by Microsoft PSS).  I am being told that a "media pack" or similar will be made available in October, although I don't have this in writing yet.  Microsoft PSS was as confused about this as I was, but the product team confirmed that between the Preview and the RTM the media bits were removed.

Or you can install Subsonic and use the URL Rewrite and Application Request Routing to reverse proxy it (so it appears like https://drashna.net/subsonic/), and configure Subsonic to use LDAP authentication (against your domain), and install Serviio. You'd get much better functionality out of it that way, anyhow.

• Like 1