RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

overcoat

i have the akasa k25... will only having 2 holes suffice?

im thinking about asking my plastic fabricator friend to whip up a couple plastic washers (with screw holes) to make the 75x75 work. thoughts?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paradox

• Cap_peeps

• TLN

• overcoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My modification:   With: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v2 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)    

As I was going to be swapping out the motherboard and fan on my unit, while it's apart I thought I'd take the opportunity to look at other cooling options for the CPU.   This might be of interest to

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:     I had to cut the fan

Posted Images

i have the akasa k25... will only having 2 holes suffice?

im thinking about asking my plastic fabricator friend to whip up a couple plastic washers (with screw holes) to make the 75x75 work. thoughts?

The Akasa K25 works perfectly fine using only two diagonal mount points, after removing mine to install the noctua cooler (it was on for a few weeks at least) I could see the TIM had spread evenly allover, also the temps were fine.

Edited by paradox
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello, 

Just I want to share with my first post, the mod I did to the Noctua NH-L9i. 

I just cut and reduced the brackets 10mm in order to fit the mobo holes. In addition I did have to make additional new holes in the brackets. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4V6yOG12-ryNXZXalpDaVBpT2c/view?usp=sharing

Now the it fits perfectly and firmly. I did add some cold soldering glue to the cut sides, was not needed though.

Now I have mounted it and supplied with the molex 12v and using the PWM from the mobo connector. But the fan behaves just the oposite as the case fan. Means if the case fan speeds up the cpu fan slows down, and if the case fan speeds up the cpu fan slows down. Any suggestions?

Edited by Spivak

Hello, 

Just I want to share with my first post, the mod I did to the Noctua NH-L9i. 

I just cut and reduced the brackets 10mm in order to fit the mobo holes. In addition I did have to make additional new holes in the brackets. 

gallery_10825_136_36824.jpg

gallery_10825_136_18812.jpg

Now the it fits perfectly and firmly. I did add some cold soldering glue to the cut sides, was not needed though.

Now I have mounted it and supplied with the molex 12v and using the PWM from the mobo connector. But the fan behaves just the oposite as the case fan. Means if the case fan speeds up the cpu fan slows down, and if the case fan speeds up the cpu fan slows down. Any suggestions?

Snake172002

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:

IMG_20151126_163331212_zpslh2bwfrz.jpg

IMG_20151126_163350279_zpshy98zsry.jpg

IMG_20151126_163420684_zpsunchyyn2.jpg

IMG_20151126_221913466_zpsbk5pxmjy.jpg

IMG_20151126_222013542_zpsnxa5ereg.jpg

IMG_20151126_222022504_zpsmeumvap7.jpg

IMG_20151126_222300080_zpscz3dhrao.jpg

I had to cut the fan due to this motherboard connector but as you can see it now fits perfectly without a need of any extra fixation points.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

I just wanted to say thanks for this.  I fitted the Zalman with a core i3 3240 and it worked a treat.

As I was going to be swapping out the motherboard and fan on my unit, while it's apart I thought I'd take the opportunity to look at other cooling options for the CPU.

This might be of interest to those who've fitted a 69W Xeon. You can see psikey's stress test of a 45W Xeon and the OE passive heatsink here, it stays quite cool.

There are two challenges fitting a CPU cooler to the Gen8; the minimal height available and non-standard cooler mounting holes.

Unfortunately rather than the standard 75x75mm mounting holes for a LGA1155, this motherboard has 75x65mm. That means the diagonal distance between the screws changes from 106.07mm to 99.25mm.

The solution I found was the Akasa K25. Due to the 10mm change in mounting dimensions, only one diagonal pair of mounts was going to line up.