RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Active CPU cooling for the Gen8

overcoat

paradox

Nice, I like that radiator mod.

Does anyone think it might be better to do a similar mod, assuming I can access the right tools for the job - or would the Akasa heatsink+fan combo I'm using be more than sufficient? It definetly has less 'heatsink' in general and is lower profile than the stock heatsink, but copper is much better at heat absorption/dissipation than aluminium isn't it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paradox

• Cap_peeps

• TLN

• overcoat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My modification:   With: Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1240 v2 (8M Cache, 3.40 GHz)    

As I was going to be swapping out the motherboard and fan on my unit, while it's apart I thought I'd take the opportunity to look at other cooling options for the CPU.   This might be of interest to

Last week I finally updated my Gen8 with the E3-1265L "V1" from ebay mentioned in other posts... so  I added a fan to the stock heatsink like other users did:     I had to cut the fan

Posted Images

I'm trying to fit this cooler; https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-024-NC

Noctua NH-L9i CPU Cooler Low Profile - 37mm

HS-024-NC_65671_350.jpgHS-024-NC_65673_350.jpgHS-024-NC_65674_350.jpg

However when aligning the mounting holes up with the stock heatsink, only one side of the holes align, the others are slightly offset - additionally, the (Noctua) heatsink needs to be screwed in from beneath the motherboard - I don't suppose anyone has any pictures of the underside of the motherboard when removed from the tray?

Before I figure out if I can even attach it using the screws on one side and then use cable / zipties on the other through the mounting holes to secure it, it would help a lot to know what the underside of the board looks like, so to save me taking it apart I was just hoping someone here might have a picture somewhere they took previously during a teardown or something? google was not much help.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by paradox

Don't think there is something special one the "dakr side of motherboard" :)

Holes are 1cm off, so you either use diagonal one or create a different mount bracket. I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm thinking about this cooler as well, but haven't bought it yet. Really interesting how you'll solve it.

Don't think there is something special one the "dakr side of motherboard" :)

Holes are 1cm off, so you either use diagonal one or create a different mount bracket. I mentioned earlier in this thread.

I'm thinking about this cooler as well, but haven't bought it yet. Really interesting how you'll solve it.

It won't work diagonally according to matching it up with the stock heatsink, none of the holes will match diagonally, but two of the side ones will line up, the others being slightly offset.

under the motherboard though isn't there some kind of backplate for the heatsink to screw into? can it be moved easily? that's what I'd really like to get a look at before I take mine apart to even try it, because one side needs to be able to be moved to screw in the screws to the new heatsink on the side where the holes do match up, and then on the other side if I can, I want to thread some thin cable or zipties through each hole and tie them off around the backplate on the other side, but again without knowing what it looks like I'm afraid it would be a huge wasted effort to take my server apart, pull the tray out and unscrew the motherboard just to check. maybe one day when I am feeling productive, or unless anyone has a picture of it etc.

I wonder if you could buy a mounting bracket that would work, from a general PC store? anyone know any that might work?

Edit: would this thing be any good? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Silver-Metal-Adjustable-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B00880R3SG

Do the holes in the motherboard correspond to any known socket type or is it just a Gen8-specific layout for the holes?

Edited by paradox

It won't work diagonally according to matching it up with the stock heatsink, none of the holes will match diagonally, but two of the side ones will line up, the others being slightly offset.

I think I've posted it here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6170-active-cpu-cooling-for-the-gen8/page-3#entry103506

We have 65x75 mm pattern, while standart is 75x75.

So you can allign one side and move holes 1cm on the other side. Or move all 4 holes 5mm to the center.

None of the backplate will work, because of a pattern.

Bad stuff is most of the backplates are X type. If they were H type, or squared - you can drill holes and use it. Same for CPU cooler.

You can do the math, diagonal of 75x75mm pattern is sqrt(75^2+75^2), which is 106mm. With 65x75 pattern we need 102mm diagolnal. You will need to drill two holes and may be cut two metal parts

This will result a cooler slightly anglerd, this is the reason I mentioned that "flower-shaped" coolers will work best.

Another idea - is to make another bracket to work with 65x75mm. Not hard at all, if you have good tools and good hands.

The only method I can think of might be using a large washer, screw and screwing in from the back side where the holes are not aligned, and placing the 'foot' of the heatsink between the board and a large washer, then tighening it down with a nut on to the screw - thoughts?

Here's a couple pics of the stock cooler with it:

Diagonal: https://i.imgur.com/bsTOflx.jpg

Straight: https://i.imgur.com/2jouchZ.jpg

The only method I can think of might be using a large washer, screw and screwing in from the back side where the holes are not aligned, and placing the 'foot' of the heatsink between the board and a large washer, then tighening it down with a nut on to the screw - thoughts?

Doesn't look like an elegant idea to me.

Take a look at pic in 1st post:

gallery_5001_64_9191.jpg

You need to drill two holes in cooler "foot".

diagonal of 75x75mm is 106 and diagonal of 65x75 is 102mm. Just a couple millimeters less.

Another idea is to find a steel pieces and replace a bracket. You will use all four holes is that case, which is better: better retention and straight alignmemt.

Another idea - is to make another bracket to work with 65x75mm. Not hard at all, if you have good tools and good hands.

Neither of which are apt descriptions of my digit holders and manipulators.

:D

Edited by Helzy

can the mounting bracket on the back of the motherboard be removed easily? what does it look like? I think I'll order some screws and nuts and attempt the 'sandwich the two offset screws down' approach when they arrive, and even just see if having 2 on one side is sufficient, can use a small drop of paste and then mount it, check the spread, etc. might even be fine with just two screws holding it down, I mean the server isn't moving around anywhere right? as long as there's contact it doesn't need to be welded to the CPU or anything.

Edited by paradox